This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1825 / 55°10'56"N
Longitude: -1.5865 / 1°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 426426
OS Northings: 587651
OS Grid: NZ264876
Mapcode National: GBR K8CJ.91
Mapcode Global: WHC2L.LZQY
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Listing Date: 14 April 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235901
Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63
Civil Parish: Ashington
Built-Up Area: Ashington (Northumberland)
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ashington Holy Sepulchre
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
ASHINGTON WANSBECK ROAD
NZ 28 NE (West side)
2/30 Church of the
Parish church 1887-1896 by W.S. Hicks. Snecked stone with ashlar dressings;
Lakeland slate roof. 5-bay aisled plan with no structural nave/chancel
division, western narthex, cross-gabled east bay of north aisle as organ
chamber, with truncated bell tower and sacristy on east. Late C14 style.
Stepped buttresses between bays and set back at angles, chamfered plinth, sill
string. 3-light windows to north and south, with part-blocked priest's door
near east end on south. 2-light window at west end of north aisle and 4-light
window to organ chamber with cruciform loop in gable above. Flat-roofed
narthex has three 2-light windows on west; boarded double doors with scrolly
ironwork under moulded arch, with sunk quatrefoils in spandrels, on each return.
Large 4-light window above. 5-light east window with whirling mouchette in
gable above; 3-light east window to south aisle. Lower stage of bell tower,
octagonal at top, now forms link to sacristy which has boarded door under
moulded round arch with trefoiled panels holding blank shields in spandrels.
Coped gables with finial crosses; timber bellcote on nave roof.
Interior: plastered double-chamfered arcades on octagonal piers with moulded
caps and bases, and corbel responds. Arcade of 3 arches with broad chamfers,
now glazed, to narthex. Boarded vault in main body of church and coffered
ceilings over aisles, both with brattished wall plates. Carved pulpit and
screens at east end of aisles. Octagonal stone font in simple C15 style.
East window: Ascension as 1914-18 war memorial.
The dedication is taken from the former medieval church at Sheepwash. The
tower was never completed as the Ashington Coal Company, major benefactors,
objected on the grounds that their slumbering night-shift workers would be
disturbed by bells.
Listing NGR: NZ2642687651
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
Other nearby listed buildings