This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7472 / 51°44'49"N
Longitude: -2.3202 / 2°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 377993
OS Northings: 205437
OS Grid: SO779054
Mapcode National: GBR 0L3.G6Q
Mapcode Global: VH94W.QBSY
Entry Name: Eadtington House
Listing Date: 9 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153017
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132338
Location: Eastington, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL10
Civil Parish: Eastington
Built-Up Area: Eastington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastington St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 7705 and EASTINGTON
SO 7805 (east side)
12/79 and 13/79 Eastington House
Formerly called Millend House, large detached house. Built
probably soon after 1569, said to have 10 hearths in 1672.
Acquired by Henry Hicks, local mill owner by 1800 and much altered
at this period, dates in leadwork 1791-1806. Roughcast-faced with
quoins and coped gables to front, some of original fabric is
timber-framed, later alterations in brick. Slate roof, mainly
ashlar stacks, including one large ridge stack to west with 3
diagonally set square flues with moulded cornices, and large
external stack to rear of east end. Thought originally to have
been H-plan, rear gables either removed or never built. Centre
front section filled in c1800 with additional gable to left and
linking cross piece, latter further enlarged at end of C19 when
many alterations were made internally including insertion of very
large staircase on north side. Scattered fenestration, with some
surviving 2 or 3-light stone mullions with square hoodmould, front
and sides mainly sashed c1800 with plain surrounds, right hand and
new gable having Venetian windows on first floor (blind to right)
and small round-arched attic lights with Gothick glazing bars.
Right hand return has 2-storey bow with 3 long paired casements to
Interior has many original chamfered and stopped beams, paired
arched wind bracing in roof on original wings of H, most original
wide elm floorboards. C19 alterations largely on ground floor,
including panelled arches to large hall. Some wallpaper from this
period may also survive in dining room.
(VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)
Listing NGR: SO7799305437
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings