This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5724 / 52°34'20"N
Longitude: 0.8338 / 0°50'1"E
OS Eastings: 592135
OS Northings: 300943
OS Grid: TF921009
Mapcode National: GBR RBF.MNH
Mapcode Global: WHKRB.SL8T
Entry Name: Church of St. Mary
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220125
Location: Watton, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Watton
Built-Up Area: Watton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Watton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
WATTON CHURCH LANE
TF 90 SW
1/87 Church of St. Mary.
Parish church. C12 and later, rebuilt 1840, restored 1886-7. Partially
rendered flint with gault brick dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave,
aisles and chancel. Tower C12. 2 stages, circular base. Arched west door
and lancet above of C19. String course below C14 octagonal belfry with ashlar
quoins terminating in parapet with punched encircled quatrefoils and trefoiled
fields, both with shields. 2-light cusped round-headed belfry windows to
alternate faces. Broad aisles of 1840 with gabled roofs. Moulded arched
doorway with lancet above to west fronts with flushwork angle buttresses.
2 2-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches to south aisle with
3-light window at east. Chancel largely C13 and rendered. Low side window
in south wall, priest's door and paired lancets under separate but continuous
hoods. Restored triple lancet east window, central light taller. Vestry
of 1852 abuts north chancel wall, converted to organ chamber 1886. North
aisle east window 3-light Perpendicular. 3 2-light Y traceried windows to
north wall. Clerestorey windows obscured by aisles: 3 2-light 4-centred
windows each side unevenly spaced. Interior with 3 bay arcade of double hollow
chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. Mushroom capitals and moulded bases.
North arcade has sunk quadrants between lobes. Scissor braced nave roof of
C19 with battlemented wall plate. 8 bay screen at west end of south aisle
and chancel screen both 1852. Benches 1840 and 1852. Reredos 1908. Poor
Box in form of wooden Parson inscribed 'Remember the Poore 1639'.
Listing NGR: TF9213500943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings