This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8928 / 51°53'34"N
Longitude: -2.3752 / 2°22'30"W
OS Eastings: 374279
OS Northings: 221651
OS Grid: SO742216
Mapcode National: GBR 0J9.6BD
Mapcode Global: VH942.SP6B
Entry Name: The Grove
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153074
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125769
Location: Taynton, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL19
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Taynton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Taynton St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 72 SW TAYNTON -
7/233 The Grove
Farmhouse; late C16, C17, C18, C19, extended and altered 1924 by
H. F. Trew for M. P. Price; timber-framed, white-painted brick
nogging, except in 1924 porch where unpainted; painted brickwork,
Flemish-bond to early C18 section on front; cavity-wall brickwork
to 1924 extension; tiled roofs. Wide H-plan, 2-bay centre; 2-
bay extension left, extends further bay to right: 2 storeys with
attics. Entrance front from 1924: all windows leaded lights.
Left, gable of 1924 extension: two 2-light mullion and transom
windows, flat rubbed brick arch over: set back to 1924 porch,
timber-framed, double, boarded door, cover-beads to joints,
decorative hinges, up one stone step, Tudor arch over: side
lights. Set back on right to C18 gable: on left 2-light mullion
and transom window replacing door in 1924. Slight break formed on
right to late C17 or early C18 brickwork, 2-light casement and
single light, plain string course over. Two-light casement with
cambered brick arch on right, in brick section, main post extending
down between 2 gables: on right 2 and 3-light casement windows.
Single-storey wall beyond, boarded door, 2 and 3-light casements.
First floor, on left 2 mullion and transom windows as on ground
floor: plain string course over, gable chimney above. Similar
window in porch, diamond-set stone pieces in infill for decorative
effect, gable over. Set back to C18 gable, two 2-light mullion
and transom windows, plain string over and rendered gable, with 2-
light casement. To left diamond-set brick chimney; plain brick
stack on ridge to right. To right lower brick section, gabled
dormer with 2-light casement, cuts wallplate. To right timber-
framed gable, part 2, part 3 panels high, 2-light casement, queen-
strut truss in gable: plain brick chimney on ridge to right.
Larger gable beyond, 2-panels high framing, 2-light mullion and
transom window, gable as left but 3 struts. Long roof slope to
right down to single-storey wall: Two-light casement in gabled
dormer added 1924. On back single-storey, flat roofed Jacobean-
style porch in centre of H, front entrance until 1924.
Interior: room to right of older porch 2-panel door, original L-
hinges, panelled window seat and shutters, semi-circular headed
cupboard to left of fireplace, dummy keystone, semi-circular back,
doors missing: dado rail, moulded cornice, chamfered ceiling beam.
Roof: timber-framed cross wing 3 bay, angle-strut trusses, no ridge
piece: centre may be of 2 periods, queen post truss, square ridge.
House of Thomas Pury, who built church (q.v.), M.P. for Gloucester
in Civil War period; his coat of arms appears on 2 firebacks in
house. (Drawings for alterations, 1924, at Tibberton Court; D.
Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970.)
Listing NGR: SO7427921651
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings