History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ditchingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4744 / 52°28'27"N

Longitude: 1.4299 / 1°25'47"E

OS Eastings: 633035

OS Northings: 291809

OS Grid: TM330918

Mapcode National: GBR WKP.VQB

Mapcode Global: VHM6G.Q2SF

Entry Name: Gate House

Listing Date: 5 September 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226812

Location: Ditchingham, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR35

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Ditchingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Ditchingham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Ditchingham

Listing Text

DITCHINGHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 39 SW
6/36
Gate House
5-9-60
II

House, dated 1613 on east gable of crosswing. Red brick, encasing timber
frame. Steep plain-tiled roof. Two storeys and 2 1/2 storeys, L-shaped plan.
3-bay wing to north, two storeys, with 2 and 3-light C19 casements with
transom, ovolo-moulded. Three plain brick pilasters. Ground floor windows
in outer bays have stone or stuccoed pediments with flower boss. Central
doorway with later porch; 2-light segmental-headed windows flanking porch.
Square axial stack off-centre to south with four moulded chimney-shaft bases.
Parapeted north gable with internal stack. Crosswing at south end has 6-light
ground floor, 5-light first floor and 3-light attic windows with ovolo-moulded
mullions and transoms; pediments with rose and fleur-de-lis motifs. The
gable carries the date 1613 in iron letters, together with the initials RH
1918, commenorating a remodelling of the house carried out by Sir Henry Rider
Haggard. 2-storey red brick and pantile extension on west side with single-
storey lean-to. West wall of main range rendered and colourwashed over timber
frame; three first floor 3-light casements. Interior: bridging beams and
mid-wall rails quadrant-moulded with barred stops. Crosswing roof has clasped
upper and butted lower purlins with cambered collars. Main range re-roofed
early C20, but retaining some members of clasped purlin roof.


Listing NGR: TM3303591809

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.