History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 5 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Andrew 2-10m South of the Porch

A Grade II Listed Building in Coln St. Dennis, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7856 / 51°47'8"N

Longitude: -1.8748 / 1°52'29"W

OS Eastings: 408732

OS Northings: 209670

OS Grid: SP087096

Mapcode National: GBR 3Q9.0T8

Mapcode Global: VHB2D.GC7Z

Entry Name: Group of 5 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St Andrew 2-10m South of the Porch

Listing Date: 12 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131158

Location: Coln St. Dennis, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Coln St. Dennis

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coln Rogers St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chedworth

Listing Text

COLN ST DENNIS COLN ROGERS
SP 0809
15/134 Group of 5 monuments in the church-
yard of the Church of St Andrew
2 - 10m south of the porch

GV II

Three chest tombs and a pair of headstones. Limestone.
a) Chest tomb nearest to porch to Thomas Barton, died 1845, and
other members of that family. Moulded plinth. Main
inscription on the north side with a beaded margin; further
inscription at the east end; plain frieze above. Capping with
moulded margin; stepped and moulded upper capping stone.
Frieze and beaded marginal panels formerly painted black.
b) John Barton chest tomb c1.5m south of and matching the Thomas
Barton tomb (q.v.). Inscription to John Barton, died 1823 on
the north side, further inscriptions to other members of that
family on the south and west.
c & Pair of headstones c3m south of the John Barton chest tomb.
d) Left-hand headstone to John Barton, died 1771 and Ann his wife,
died 1761. Right-hand headstone to Mary, wife of Edmund
Barton, died 1707. Cartouche-like surrounds with cherubs'
heads at the top to both inscription panels.
e) Chest tomb c0.25m to the south of the Mary Barton chest tomb.
Inscription to Edmund Barton, died 1814 and other members of
that family. Moulded plinth. Inscription with beaded margin
on the north with simple marginal panels. Moulded margin to
the capping, hipped upper capping stone.


Listing NGR: SP0873209670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.