History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eastern Winding House and Shaft Head Building (Winder and Shaft No 1)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1893 / 55°11'21"N

Longitude: -1.5471 / 1°32'49"W

OS Eastings: 428935

OS Northings: 588429

OS Grid: NZ289884

Mapcode National: GBR K8MF.VL

Mapcode Global: WHC2M.6TKP

Entry Name: Eastern Winding House and Shaft Head Building (Winder and Shaft No 1)

Listing Date: 22 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153123

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235914

Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ashington

Built-Up Area: Ashington (Northumberland)

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Woodhorn with Newbiggin

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Listing Text

ASHINGTON WOODHORN COLLIERY
NZ 28 NE
2/43 Eastern winding
house and shaft
22/5/86 head building
(Winder and Shaft
No. 1)
GV II*

Winding house and shaft head gear, c.1894 with later alterations. Yellow
Ashington brick with gauged arches to doors and windows. Roof of late C20
synthetic sheeting; shaft head gear cast iron with brick casing heightened
in red brick. Rectangular 3-storey winding house with shaft to south. 3-bay
side walls and 2-bay rear of winding house have bays defined by pilasters
rising to stepped-and-cogged eaves cornice and large round-arched windows
holding metal-framed casements; central window on east replaced by late C20
double doors onto platform. Round-arched doorways and windows to lower floors,
and arched doorway onto walkway from upper floor to cage. Hipped roof with
flat-topped dormer and half dormer for winding cables, and raised louvre on
ridge.

Shaft head gear has skeletal frame partly encased in rectangular structure
with 4 round-arched openings on east.

Sinking of shaft commenced 1894; first coal produced Feb. 13, 1901. Steam
engine replaced by electric winder in 1975.

Superstructure of shaft head building and lower flat-roofed additions to west
and south are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NZ2893588429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.