History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Snettisham Old Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Snettisham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8802 / 52°52'48"N

Longitude: 0.5027 / 0°30'9"E

OS Eastings: 568508

OS Northings: 334346

OS Grid: TF685343

Mapcode National: GBR P3N.FWM

Mapcode Global: WHKPM.PVLV

Entry Name: Snettisham Old Hall

Listing Date: 5 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153140

English Heritage Legacy ID: 221425

Location: Snettisham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Civil Parish: Snettisham

Built-Up Area: Snettisham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Snettisham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Snettisham

Listing Text

TF 6834 SNETTISHAM LYNN ROAD (east)

10/39 Snettisham Old Hall.

5/6/53 II*

Hall. Incorporating manor house of later C16 or earlier C17 remodelled in
C18 and early C19 by the Styleman family, later of Hunstanton Hall. Originally
an H-plan house with solar at east, hall in centre, services at west, with
central entrance gable and 2 returned gables. Rubble carstone with brick
dressings on south front with later galleted carstone work; coursed, squared
and dressed carstone of Cl8 on north front, some brick at north-east corner,
west service wing of 2 different carstone builds. Black glazed pantiled roofs,
slate at south-east, C20 pantiles to west service wing. Earliest work perhaps
by Sir Wymond Cary (obit 1612): plaster work reported but not seen had cypher
of Henry, Prince of Wales (obit 1612); or . his heir who bought the manor from
James I in 1614 but sold it promptly; from 1710 to 1835 occupied by the Style-
man family. Exterior: south front largely C18 details, but earlier forms
of H-plan house survive: 2 outer 2 bay gabled return wings, 5 bay centre
with central projecting wings have 2 ground and 2 first floor windows under
flat rubbed brick arches. Dutch gables with single segmental rubbed brick
arch head, all C18 sashes with glazing bars. Central storey former entrance
porch has ground floor glazed French doors under flat rubbed brick arch, first
floor glazing barred sash with arched switch tracery Gothick head under fine
segmental rubbed brick arch. Wooden open pediment cornice 2 flanking bays
to west have 2 ground and 2 first and to east one ground and 2 first floor
C18 sashes with glazing bars under flat rubbed brick arches. All sashes
clearly inserted in earlier openings, walls and brick quoins earlier still;
raised parapet to centre and lead down pipes with "NAS 1737" for Nicholas
and Armine Styleman suggest date for refenestration and addition of Dutch
gables. 3 attic flat roofed sashed dormers. At south-east corner early C19
wooden lead roofed porch with Doric pilasters and pedimented gable, 2 glazed
French doors. East return of east wing has early C19 additional 2 storey
carstone and brick dressed semi-circular bow with 3 ground level silled sashes,
3 first floor sashes with glazing bars. At east an additional brick bay with
one ground and one first floor sash. This work perhaps contemporary with
infilling of north side of "H" plan to form at north 2 gabled wings of 2
bays each, in centre a 5 bay ranges, carstone. Centre has 2 outer arched
and fanlight headed sashes with glazing bars to light staircases, 3 sashes
in between, ground floor additional flat roofed single storey wing with early
C19 wooden porch with fanlight headed door and swept leaded roof. Stacks
to this north side of main roof pitch only : 2 to ridge of both wings, 2 to
centre. At west a long service wing of at least 2 builds. To south entrance
front,return has 4 ground and 4 first floor sashes of C18 remodelling, first
floor datestone 1632 at south partly cut away brick stitching of C17 window.
At north, at junction with "H" plan a brick dressed former door with arched
head, probably early C17. To south and returned to west continued as carstone
wall screening C20 additions. To service court to west a central straight
joint divides earlier south end from C18 north. Interior: a later C16 stone
fireplace re-erected on ground floor 1980, but otherwise surviving evidence
of interest confined to south-east wing or solar end of original "H" plan,
a remodelling associated with Henry Styleman (1755-1819) and perhaps
immediately prior to his death, but earlier C18 or later C19 dates also
possible. South-east bowed room with rich Greek Revival cornice suggests
later date. Entrance porch, hall and north staircase with cast iron balusters
and tented plaster ceiling and cornice probably pre-1819; an 1817 date is
associated in incomplete accounts for work by Richard Egmore, builder. Re-
used mid C18 panelling at first floor south west corner. House bought 1877
by Edward Green, builder of Ken Hill or Snettisham New Hall (1878-1881)(q,v)
See Elizabeth M. James. "The Old Hall, Snettisham, and the Styleman Family"
Norfolk Archaeology, xxviii, Part III, pp. 343-357.


Listing NGR: TF6850834346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.