History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7606 / 51°45'38"N

Longitude: -2.3731 / 2°22'23"W

OS Eastings: 374348

OS Northings: 206940

OS Grid: SO743069

Mapcode National: GBR 0KV.DWD

Mapcode Global: VH94V.T0BP

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132348

Location: Frampton on Severn, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Frampton on Severn

Built-Up Area: Frampton on Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Frampton-on-Severn St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN CHURCH END
SO 7406-7506
11/90 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
10.1.55
GV II*
Anglican parish church. Consecrated 1315, largely of C14 with C15
chapels, tower and porch rebuilt in C18, restored c1850 by Francis
Niblett, and 1868-70 by Henry Woodyer including lengthening of
chancel. Mostly squared and dressed stone with some roughcast
facing to aisles, stone slate roof with coped verges and
saddlestones, some with cross finials. West tower nave and aisles
with south porch at west end, projecting chancel. West tower,
rebuilt in 1734, of 3 stages with stringcourses and stepped
diagonal buttresses ending in crocketed pinnacles and with open
trefoil panelled parapet with pitched roof behind. Two-light open
stonework belfry openings on top stage; small projecting stair
tower on north side; west side has large 3-light Perpendicular
window over pointed arch doorway. Windows generally 2 or 3-light
Perpendicular, those to east of chapels having angel stops and
elaborate tracery. North side has low wide ogee archway
corresponding to porch on south side, raised to 2 storeys in late
C18 with small stone ridge stack and 2-light pointed arch leaded
window to south in upper chamber. Lower chamber has blocked
niches to both sides, over stone wall seats and very old plank door
with original locking gear. Moulded pointed archway with
alternate cavetto and ovolo moulding, and hoodmould.
Interior: 4-bay pointed arcade to aisles with octagonal piers.
Crown post and beam roof to nave and north aisle, wagon roof to
south aisle. Two-bay choir arcade to chapels. Romanesque lead
font in south west corner, probably mid/late C12. Pulpit of 1622,
pews of C19 with end panels of linenfold design. Clifford Chapel
to north has 2 recumbent effigies on low tomb chests in arched
recesses, reputed to be of members of Clifford family, probably
early C14. Many good wall tablets in marble, particularly to
Clifford family, some by John Pearce fl. late C18, a local carver.
(V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972; David Verey, The Buildings
of England - The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980; local church
guide.)


Listing NGR: SO7434806940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.