This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8224 / 52°49'20"N
Longitude: 1.0862 / 1°5'10"E
OS Eastings: 608038
OS Northings: 329446
OS Grid: TG080294
Mapcode National: GBR TBH.5DB
Mapcode Global: WHLRF.NBF4
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224010
Location: Thurning, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR20
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Thurning
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thurning St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 02 NE THURNING REEPHAM ROAD
Church of St. Andrew.
Parish church, C14 tower, nave and north aisle, later Perpendicular details
inserted. FlinL with stone dressings, slated roof. West tower, nave and
north aisle, south porch, chancel in ruins. Unbuttressed west tower with
single west lancet with broken trefoil tracery, single rectangular opening
to belfry chamber on east, north and west faces, south with 2-light Decorated
window with clock below. Flush work battlemented parapet. Nave south 3 2-
light Decorated windows with tracery heads, south porch Perpendicular with
hood moulded arch recut, angle buttresses, blocked 2-light Perpendicular window
on east. East window of 3-lights, reticulated tracery and former chancel
south priest's door both re-erected in nave east wall. North chancel wall
surviving. North aisle with Perpendicular straight headed 3-light east window,
2 straight headed 2-light north windows, 2 light Y-tracery west window of
c.1300, blocked north door of c.1300. Interior: 4 bay north arcade of Per-
pendicular octagonal piers, double hollow chamfered arches. Furnishings by
James Burroughs for Corpus Christi College Cambridge chapel
of 1742 re-erected here after 1824 by the Rev. Henry William Blake, MA and
former Fellow. 3 decker pulpit with sounding board, 3-sided communion rails
with gates, moulded plinth and shelf, turned balusters, sanctuary panelling.
North aisle filled with box pews, nave with open benches, boxes at rear.
Nave east wall 2 good mid C18 wall monuments, to north with rococo details
signed E. Holl, 1766. Nave south wall monument signed W. Tyler 1750. 6-part
Gothick tower door c.1820. Early C19 nave and aisle roofs. Late C19 stone
font with wooden cover. See M. J. Sayer Thurning (1972).
Listing NGR: TG0803829446
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings