This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7854 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: -2.1943 / 2°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 386692
OS Northings: 209651
OS Grid: SO866096
Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.417
Mapcode Global: VH94R.XD95
Entry Name: Group of Eight Monuments Circa 12 Metres East of East Chancel Wall in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133406
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK NEW STREET
SO 8609 (part) (south east side)
9/219 Group of eight monuments
c.12 m east of east chan-
cel wall in the churchyard
of the Church of St Mary
Two chest tombs, two pedestal tombs, and four headstones. Late C17 and early
C18. Limestone. Reading from nearest the chancel away to the east.
(a) Two close-set headstones, one of late C17 with raised oval panel, winged
cherub and swags; the other a simple cartouche.
(b) Hexagonal pedestal with domed capping to moulded edge over fluted frieze.
Sunk arch-head panels have inset bronze or copper plaques beautifully lettered;
earliest recorded is Richard Smith (Mercer), 1727. Cherubs with wings above
panels. All set to moulded base on square sub-base with deep curb, formerly
(c) Chest tomb with thick flat table to moulded edge, deep carved lyre ends and
good cartcuches to north and south, cavetto base. Remains of inscription, north
side, has 16-7; earliest fully legible Gyles Smith (Mercer) 1707; full inscrip-
tion to south.
(d) Chest tomb with thick flat table to moulded edge, lyre ends elliptical
panel to east and worn cartouche to west, south side has moulded panel with
scroll supporters, north with floral decoration; set to flared moulded base. To
To Samuel Hopton, 1677.
(e) Lofty pedestal tomb, moulded square top with inset corners, square panels
to egg and dart moulding north and south elliptical panels east and west sides;
deep moulded base on 2 steps. North side has inset bronze or copper plates to
William Hogg, 1800 (but the tomb design is earlier than this). Inscription
includes the following:
"A much esteemed gratuitous preacher of the Gospel in the tabernacles of
London, Bristol, Rodborough and various other places ...... it is incredi-
ble the sums of money he expended in charity".
(f) Two headstones. to the north with good cartouche and two angels' heads; to
the south with angel and drapes. Neither of these legible. To east of preced-
An unusually good group, with important historical evidence, in a churchyard
more richly endowed monumentally than most.
Listing NGR: SO8669209651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings