This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7201 / 50°43'12"N
Longitude: -1.8769 / 1°52'36"W
OS Eastings: 408784
OS Northings: 91167
OS Grid: SZ087911
Mapcode National: GBR X7G.04
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.QL1
Entry Name: The Arcade
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101803
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
5186 OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD
[Nos 1 to 22 (consec) and
Nos 22A, 23 and 23A]
SZ 0891 13/132 1.8.74.
Forms part of a group with items 13/139, 13/140 and 13/141 in Gervis Place (group
value), 1886-73, Henry Joy (builder), of stucco in Regency style. Facades to
Old Christchurch Road and Gervis place flanked by 3-storey rotundas ('pepper
pots') which have lost their original stilted metal-roofed domes: Corinthian
pilasters and dentil cornice to 1st floor, Tuscan and plainer cornice (with blocking
course) to 2nd. Between them, tripartite entrances remodelled circa 1935, with
glazed facade above to semi-circular gable: radiating half-wheel of arched glazing
bars, projecting forward on Gervis Place front, over miniature glazed arcade,
2nd tier of wheel arches enclosed by dentil cornice of gable. Gervis Place front
includes 3 bays of shopping frontage to east and 4 to west, also stucco, at west
end Bright's Staff Entrance has pilasters and entablature. Old Christchurch
Road front has 1 bay of stucco shops to east, 2 to west. Interior has one good
Victorian shop front (Peter Roberts, formerly William and Treadgold); arched
glazing bars, flanking pilasters and console brackets carrying miniature coupled
pilasters and pediment panel, fascia with dentil cornice and rich openwork cresting
rising in centre. Most upper windows of plain Georgian shape, but some are recessed
canted oriels. Moulded cornice supports iron arch-braced roof of 1872-3 with
steeply pitched lantern.
The Arcade [Nos 1 to 23A (consec)], No 28 with Dingles, Anderson and McAuley and
Gervis Hall (Hornes), Gervis Place form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ0878491167
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings