History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Convent of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Boscombe Convent School, Senior Department)

A Grade II Listed Building in Boscombe East, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7275 / 50°43'39"N

Longitude: -1.8289 / 1°49'44"W

OS Eastings: 412171

OS Northings: 92001

OS Grid: SZ121920

Mapcode National: GBR XFN.V6

Mapcode Global: FRA 7715.5UZ

Entry Name: Convent of the Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Boscombe Convent School, Senior Department)

Listing Date: 27 February 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101806

Location: Bournemouth, BH5

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Boscombe East

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St Andrew, Boscombe

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Boscombe

Listing Text

1.
5186 PARKWOOD ROAD
(South West Side)
No 13 [Convent of the Handmaids
of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
(Boscombe Convent School,
Senior Department)]
SZ 1291 29/256

II

2.
Former Convent of the Cross. Big symmetrical Elizabethan-style E-plan front
in Purbeck rubble, 1889. 4-storey shaped gables to centre and wings, 2 storeys
and attic between. Porch with sculptured angels adoring cross in spandrels,
canted oriel over. Windows stone-mullioned, mostly 3-light with transom or 2-light
with transom. Asymmetrical rear: north wing (with 2 narrow transverse gables)
and far-projecting central wing both end in shaped gables, shorter south wing
(with transverse shaped gable and 1 transverse ordinary gable) connects to chapel:

Early English style, 5 bays, lancets within continuous arcade of big blind relieving
arches. Gabled bellcote with fleche on ridge.


Listing NGR: SZ1217192001

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.