This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8475 / 51°50'50"N
Longitude: -1.9113 / 1°54'40"W
OS Eastings: 406204
OS Northings: 216543
OS Grid: SP062165
Mapcode National: GBR 3PG.3L9
Mapcode Global: VHB1Z.TTFM
Entry Name: The Corn Mill and Mill Wheel
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130020
Location: Compton Abdale, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Compton Abdale
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Compton Abdale St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
COMPTON ABDALE COMPTON ABDALE VILLAGE
SP 01 NE
5/22 The Corn Mill and mill wheel
(Formerly listed as 'Corn Mill Barn')
Former barn/corn mill, now house and open-fronted store. Late C18-
mid C19. Limestone rubble, stone slate and artificial stone slate
roof to main body. Roman tile roof to open-fronted store.
Rectangular plan to barn/mill with projecting porch on south with
lean-to extension added to gable. Lean-to left of porch, another
lean-to to rear left (without roof at time of resurvey August
1985). South elevation; double doors to porch. Single light and
2-light C20 casements to lean-to left. Two ventilation slits right
of porch and former pitching window below eaves. Left gable end;
2-light stone-mullioned casement to first floor, similar C20
casement left. French doors to ground floor with two single-light
casements right, one C18 with flat-chamfered stone surround. Three
C20 skylights in roof at front and rear. Cast-iron overshot water
wheel c7m in diameter in situ at rear. Water from lake diverted
via leat to feeder pool (with overflow outlet and sluice), thence
via cast-iron pipe supported on stone pier to tank over uppermost
part of wheel. Eight-bay open-fronted store right of mill/barn,
bays divided by stone built square piers.
Interior; gearing formerly powered by traction engine still in
situ with two mill wheels in room above. Mill ceased production in
late 1940's or early 1950's.
Listing NGR: SP0620416543
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings