This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4966 / 55°29'47"N
Longitude: -1.6347 / 1°38'5"W
OS Eastings: 423174
OS Northings: 622593
OS Grid: NU231225
Mapcode National: GBR K40W.WG
Mapcode Global: WHC16.V3QK
Entry Name: Embleton United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236970
Location: Embleton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Embleton
Built-Up Area: Embleton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Embleton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2322 EMBLETON FRONT STREET
14/80 Embleton United
Presbyterian Church, dated 1833, altered c.1920. West front squared and
coursed whinstone blocks, other elevations whinstone rubble, with raised whin
quoins and dressings, rendered and pebbledashed; cut sandstone sills, lintels
and gable copings. Welsh slate roof.
West front 4 bays. Centre bays have tall pointed windows with wood Y-tracery,
each light holding a Gothick-headed 16-pane sash; roundel above and between
with date. Right end bay has a 12-pane Gothick sash under a pointed arch,
with a similar blocked window above; left end bay has a gabled porch of c.1920
with flush-panelled double doors in bolection-moulded surround on the left
return; on front a small window with slit above, under coped gable, on moulded
kneelers, with ball finial; above the porch is another blocked pointed window.
Coped gables with moulded kneelers. At right end a small single-storey
extension with a 9-pane sash window.
2-bay left return, to street, shows 12-pane sashes in left bay; right bay
has similar blocked window (now holding noticeboard) under Diocletian window
of c.1920. 3-bay rear elevation shows 16-pane sashes and flush-panelled door
with 4-pane overlight.
Interior remodelled c.1920, when side parts of gallery removed and rear part,
carried on two cast-iron columns on stepped ashlar bases, converted to
separate upper hall.
Listing NGR: NU2317422593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings