This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1724 / 55°10'20"N
Longitude: -1.625 / 1°37'29"W
OS Eastings: 423985
OS Northings: 586520
OS Grid: NZ239865
Mapcode National: GBR K82M.ZM
Mapcode Global: WHC2S.08H3
Entry Name: Bothal Castle Gatehouse and Adjacent Wing to West
Listing Date: 14 April 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235949
Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Ashington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bothal And Pegswood
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BOTHAL BOTHAL VILLAGE
NZ 2386 (West side)
7/79 Bothal Castle:
14/4/49 adjacent wing
Castle gatehouse, probably c.1343 when Robert Bertram obtained licence to
crenellate, restored from ruin 1830-31: adjacent wing c.1858, incorporating
some medieval walling, extended and heightened 1909; C19 and early C20 work
for Sample family, agents for Duke of Portland. Squared stone with cut
dressings; gatehouse roof leaded, Lakeland slates on wing. Gatehouse
rectangular in plan, with semi-octagonal turrets flanking entrance on north,
and rectangular south-west stair turret.
North elevation: Gatehouse 3 storeys, 3 bays and 2-bay right wing. Moulded
pointed central arch with portcullis slot, 1st floor window of 2 trefoiled
lights with quatrefoil in spandrel, 3-light square-headed window with transom
above. Flanking turrets have 3-light windows, mostly C19, except for single-
light loops to ground floor left. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles,
important display of contemporary heraldry and 2 worn stone figures (of.
Alnwick Castle). Inner return of each turret shows blocked shoulder-arched
door, probably early C19. 2-bay wing to right has 3-light mullioned
windows (those on 2nd floor blocked) and crenellated parapet. Left return
of gatehouse shows original 2-light lst-floor window and 3-light transomed
South elevation, to bailey: Gatehouse has double-chamfered arch; original
2-light window above with C15 transomed 2-light window with panel-traceried
head on right, brought from Cockle Park Tower in 1830-31 restoration. 3- and
4-light transomed windows to 2nd floor, the latter a late C19 insertion.
Small loops to right and in taller projecting stair turret on left. Wing
to left 4 storeys, 3 bays; projecting embattled porch with moulded arch, 2-
3- and 4-light mullioned windows, some transomed. 2-storey extension on far
left projects beyond line of curtain wall.
Interior: Gate passage has pointed rib vault with 4 murder-holes. Blocked
shouldered doorway in each wall, and 2 chamfered loops on west. Ground floor
chambers have round-arched rib vaults. 1st floor chamber has segmental
ribbed rear arches to original windows, some with window seats. Newel stair
capped by ribbed umbrella vault; shoulder-arched doorways. Wing has open-
well closed-string stair with turned balusters. 1st floor drawing room has
C15 fireplace with embattled lintel, brought from Cockle Park, and oak
panelling originally from East-Indiaman ship. One wall, and stair, have
plasterwork in imitation of panelling.
Historial Note: The Bertrams were lords from the late C12 until 1406, when
the estate passed to the Ogles. Sir John Ogle was besieged here by his
elder brother Sir Robert, who took the castle but was later compelled to
return it to Sir John.
Listing NGR: NZ2398586520
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings