History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tarrant Abbey House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tarrant Crawford, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8292 / 50°49'45"N

Longitude: -2.1141 / 2°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 392061

OS Northings: 103301

OS Grid: ST920033

Mapcode National: GBR 312.SDH

Mapcode Global: FRA 66GX.276

Entry Name: Tarrant Abbey House

Listing Date: 26 June 1953

Last Amended: 2 September 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103747

Location: Tarrant Crawford, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Tarrant Crawford

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Tarrant Keynston with Tarrant Crawford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Charlton Marshall

Listing Text

TARRANT CRAWFORD
ST 90 SW -
5/26
Tarrant Abbey House
26.6.53 (formerly listed as
Abbey Farmhouse)
GV II*

House, early C15 origin with additions of the late C15, C16 and C18. Main
facade on C18 reface in Flemish bond brickwork, rear walls in chequered rubble
and flint. C15 cross wing in rubble and flint with ashlar dressings below and
timber box framing with tension braces and C17 brick nogging above. Tiled
roofs with brick stacks in various locations. Main facade: 2 storeys, 3
window range. 2 and 3-light casements with glazing bars, those to the ground
floor under segmental brick heads. Near central pedimented, pilastered
doorcase with part-glazed, panelled door. The early wing retains 2 original
2-light, square headed windows, now blocked.

Internal features (RCHM): early range retains a 9 bay arch-braced collar
truss roof with curved windbracing; various stop-chamfered beams.

The original purpose of the building is unclear but it was probably one of
the buildings of the important Cistercian nunnery which stood on the site,
largely demolished at the time of the Dissolution. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV,
p.87/8, no.3. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset,
1972, p.416.)


Listing NGR: ST9206103301

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.