History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade I Listed Building in Notgrove, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8779 / 51°52'40"N

Longitude: -1.8426 / 1°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 410930

OS Northings: 219938

OS Grid: SP109199

Mapcode National: GBR 3P5.8YS

Mapcode Global: VHB21.02R7

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 26 January 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153880

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130064

Location: Notgrove, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Notgrove

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Notgrove St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Notgrove

Listing Text

NOTGROVE -
SP 11 NW
6/67
Church of St. Bartholomew
26.1.61
GV
I
Anglican parish church. C12, C14 and Decorated. Restored by
J.E.K. Cutts in 1873, when the north aisle and south wall of the
chancel were rebuilt externally. Mostly coursed squared and
dressed limestone, south side of nave ashlar, stone slate and
concrete tile roofing. Plan; nave with north aisle and nqrth
transept, south porch. West tower and chancel with vestry abutting
north transept. Gabled south porch (rebuilt); double plank doors
with decorative strap hinges within pointed arch of 2 orders, the
inner tapering inwards at shoulder height. Scroll-moulded hood
with stops. Fragments of carved stonework including C12 voussoir
with chevron moulding reset in west wall within east wall contains
a deep ogee-headed recess. C14 stone coffin below. Tudor doorway
to nave with basket-headed surround, carved spandrels and stopped
hood. Two rectangular windows with Perpendicular style tracery and
stopped hoods right of porch. Single similar window left of porch
with original hood with stops in the form of a man and a woman's
head. All three windows restored C19. Chancel north wall; one 2-
light and one 3-light stone-mullioned casement with ogee-curved
trefoil heads with carved spandrels, both C19. East end; string
at eaves level. C15 ogee-arched niche containing possibly Saxon
effigy of Christ crucified. C19 vestry on north side of chancel
with 2-light stone-mullioned window in east facing wall. C19 plank
door with decorative strap hinges in gable. C14 north transept
with pointed 2-light window with cinquefoil headed lights and hood
with ballflower ornament. North aisle lit by two 2-light stone-
mullioned casements within deep casement moulded surrounds. Low
parapet with string below. Traces of pilaster buttressing at west
end of nave. Decorated, 3 stage tower with strings between stages
and ribbed stone spire. Single light belfry windows with ogee-
curved trefoil heads and stone louvres. Similar smaller light
below belfry window and to second stage on north side. Sundial
with metal gnomon below belfry window on south side. Roof;
stepped coping to gable ends of chancel, nave and south porch.
Sanctus bellcote on east gable end of nave.
Interior; scraped. C12, three-bay arcade with piers with square
scalloped capitals. Pointed chancel arch dating from restoration
of church in 1873. Pointed arch of similar date containing organ
on north side of chancel. C19 wagon roof to nave with finely
carved winged angels decorating wall plate, decorative bosses and
spine beam. Chancel; C19 scissor-braced trusses with collar. C19
roof trusses to north transept. Flooring; plain and encaustic
tiling in sanctuary. Stone flags and tiling forming integral
pattern within chancel. Nave floor, flagstones and ledger slabs.
C14 defaced stone reredos at east end of chancel (now concealed by
tapestry designed by Colin Anderson, depicting reredos, started
1936, completed 1954). The reredos comprised a canopied niche
above the altar flanked by wide ogee arched recesses. Some crimson
and green paint survives. Head corbel lower left. Doorless aumbry
below left-hand recess. Image niche with ogee-arched surround in
north wall of chancel. Back of niche painted crimson, margin
painted with chevron decoration. Ovolo-moulded string interrupted
by niche and window. Furniture and fittings; C12 tub-shaped font
with double cable moulding below rim, on stepped octagonal and
square base adjacent to south door. Pews on south side of nave
constructed early C17. Inscription on front pew 'Richard Dlaydell,
Thomas Daen, Church Wardens 1619', brattishing and intertwined
flower decoration on early C17 pews (possibly reused). Pews on
north side of nave similar design but mid C20 with rose and thistle
decoration. Rectangular carved oak pulpit. C19 carved wooden rood
screen. Fine C17 carved oak chair within sanctuary with sunflower
motif. Monuments; three limestone effigies probably of members of
the Whittington family within chancel comprising an effigy of a
lady with ruff and headress, dated 1630, in arcaded panels on tomb
below effigy, tomb lies within a round-headed niche within north
wall of sanctuary. Two effigies of men, c1585, one above the other
the lower dressed in long robes being enclosed within an open-sided
tomb flanked by fluted columns, the upper dressed in armour. Large
limestone overmantel with three heraldic shields over. Two C14
stone effigies of priests within north transept (formerly outside
church). Three stone ledgers in nave aisle, two to members of the
Michell family dating from C17, one C18. Stained glass; south
windows of chancel and one window in south wall of nave contain C19
stained glass by Clayton and Bell. Stained glass inset of Virgin
and Child of c1300 in vestry window.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979).


Listing NGR: SP1093019940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.