This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0016 / 52°0'5"N
Longitude: -1.8625 / 1°51'45"W
OS Eastings: 409533
OS Northings: 233692
OS Grid: SP095336
Mapcode National: GBR 3ML.HY0
Mapcode Global: VHB17.NYQG
Entry Name: Green Close
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153884
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134823
Location: Snowshill, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12
Civil Parish: Snowshill
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stanton and Snowshill
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SNOWSHILL SNOWSHILL VILLAGE
12/42 Green Close
Formerly 4 cottages, now one house. C17, altered c1916 by C.E.
Bateman for H. Peech. Roughly squared, coursed stone, larger
quoins, stone slate roofs. Three-room, 1 1/2 storey block along road,
c1916 link to 2-room, 2 1/2-storey block approximately at right
angles. To road: ground floor set down, window sills at pavement
level. Three 2-light mullioned windows with plain chamfer and
hoodmoulds. Above: hip at left end to roof, gabled dormer with 2-
light casement; roof steps up to right, chimney from eaves with
moulded cap, hipped dormer with C20 metal window, sill below eaves.
Roof steps down to right, 2 dormers as left end, parapet gable with
ridge chimney, moulded cap. Flight of steps down against gable to
boarded door, covered hipped lean-to roof on timber posts. Beyond
curved, timber-framed wall of link. Further stone gable to right,
4-light mullioned window with king mullion; above, offset to left,
2-light mullioned window, similar above in gable, all with
hoodmoulds. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex; 2 ashlar
chimneys with moulded caps from gables on right return, first
single, square set stalk, second 2 diamond-set. Oven projection
below on right. Probably originally 2 houses, later converted to
cottages, combined into one house with added link between c1916.
(W.G. Davie and E.G. Dawber, Old Cottages and Farmhouses ....in the
Cotswolds, 1904; Country Life, vol LX, 1926)
Listing NGR: SP0953333692
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings