This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8052 / 51°48'18"N
Longitude: -1.986 / 1°59'9"W
OS Eastings: 401064
OS Northings: 211834
OS Grid: SP010118
Mapcode National: GBR 2NF.W56
Mapcode Global: VHB24.JWGK
Entry Name: Former Library Now a Squash Court
Listing Date: 12 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131265
Location: Rendcomb, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Rendcomb
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Rendcomb St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 01 SW
2/242 Former library now a squash
Former library, later converted to a squash court. Built 1924 by
one of the Cotswold Arts and Crafts Group architects for Col.
Fitzgerald. Diamond-shaped datestone over entrance. Random
roughly squared limestone; stone slate roof; rubble stacks.
Rectangular plan with a projecting porch on the south and raking
side buttresses. 1 1/2 storeys south entrance front with a central
projecting 2-storey porch. Plank door with strap hinges within a
moulded basket-headed surround with a hood with diamond-ended
stops; large 3-light stone-mullioned window with two transoms to
the upper floor; 2-light stone-mullioned casements to the first
floor either side of the porch. Three dormer windows with stone-
mullioned cross windows to the side walls; gable towards the left
end of the west elevation. Lead drainpipes decorated with oak leaf
motifs. Small ball finials to the gables. Axial stack. Interior
not inspected, but panelling of former library now removed to
Cliffordine House, Rendcomb. The building lies directly opposite
the entrance front of Marsden Manor (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SP0109411797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings