History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Somerford Keynes, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6585 / 51°39'30"N

Longitude: -1.9775 / 1°58'38"W

OS Eastings: 401654

OS Northings: 195524

OS Grid: SU016955

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q5.YPR

Mapcode Global: VHB2X.NKYY

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129496

Location: Somerford Keynes, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Somerford Keynes

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Somerford Keynes with Sharncote All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Somerford Keynes

Listing Text

SOMERFORD KEYNES SOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGE
SU 09 NW
8/197 Church of All Saints
26.11.58
GV II*
Anglican parish church. Saxon foundation c685, largely rebuilt
early C13, tower of c1710-13, restored 1875 by Waller including
building of north aisle. Coursed and tooled stone with some
snecking and flush quoins, sprocketed stone slate roof with coped
verges and saddlestones with cross finials. West tower, nave with
south porch, chancel, with north aisle. Tower of 3 stages with
offsets, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles, and stepped
buttresses up to 2nd stage. Twin round-arched louvred belfry
lights on top stage to all sides, similar window on second stage to
west with large 3-light Perpendicular window below and small
segmental headed doorway. Saxon doorway in aisleless section of
north wall of nave, very narrow with stilted arch carried on
stepped corbels. Two-light windows to nave and chancel, some
restored, with priest's door between the 2 chancel windows on south
side, and C19 three-light lancet to east.
Interior: nave roof of 5 bays with braced collar beams with struts
to principal rafters, and 2 tiers of arched wind bracing. Arcade
on north side is Early English, 2 bays to nave, one to chancel.
North aisle contains large black and white marble monument with
reclining effigy to Robert Straung (Strange), died 1654. Chancel
has sedilia and C13 piscina, C15 screen. (David Verey, Buildings
of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; Geoffrey
Gibbon, Through the Saxon Door - the story of Somerford Keynes,
1969).


Listing NGR: SU0165495524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.