History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Westcote, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8831 / 51°52'59"N

Longitude: -1.682 / 1°40'55"W

OS Eastings: 421987

OS Northings: 220555

OS Grid: SP219205

Mapcode National: GBR 5RV.TVH

Mapcode Global: VHBZC.SXPR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154002

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130982

Location: Westcote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, OX7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Westcote

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Westcote St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Wyck Rissington

Listing Text

WESTCOTE CHURCH WESTCOTE
SP 22 SW
2/251 Church of St Mary
GV II
Anglican parish church. C15, chancel rebuilt 1876 by Bonner of
London, nave rebuilt 1886. Both nave and chancel are C13 in style
suggesting that the earlier church may have been of that date.
Coursed squared and dressed limestone with dressed stone quoins and
a stone slate roof. Nave with a projecting south porch, chancel
with vestry on the north, west tower. Nave north wall; C15 two-
light window with ogee-curved cinquefoil-headed lights with tracery
above within a rectangular casement-moulded surround with a hood
with square steps. C19, C14 style 2-light pointed window with two
trefoil-headed lights with a quatrefoil at the top. Flat-chamfered
segmental-pointed arched priest's door with a stopped hood between
these two windows. South wall; two C19 windows each comprising
three graded lancets with a stopped hood. C19 corbel table. C19
plank door with decorative hinges within a double-chamfered
pointed-headed surround with a scroll-moulded hood with stylised
animal head stops within the porch. Porch; segmental-pointed
double-chamfered arched entrance. Chancel south wall; flat-
chamfered plinth; single-pointed light and a matching 2-light
window, both with stopped hoods with foliate stops. Single-light
window of the same design in the north wall. East window; three
graduated lancets with a graduated stopped hood. Blind trefoil,
also with a stopped hood towards the apex of the gable. String
below the windows on all the sides of the chancel. Lean-to vestry
in the same style as the chancel, with a C19 plank door with
decorative hinges and a segmental-pointed surround. Three-stage
tower with single trefoil-headed light with stopped hoods to the
lower stage on the west. Similar window to the second stage on the
south. Two-light belfry windows also with trefoil-headed lights to
the third stage. Battlemented parapet. Strings between stages.
Roof; stepped coped gables. Upright cross finials on roll cross
saddles. C19 carved man's head with cleft beard on kneeler at the
north-west corner of the north aisle.
Church interior; 4-bay nave with C19 arch-braced roof trusses.
C19 trussed rafter roof trusses to the chancel. C15 double-
chamfered arch from the nave to the base of the tower. C19 Early
English style chancel arch with engaged columns, circular capitals
and a moulded hood with foliate stops , rere arches in similar
style behind the east window. Plank floor to nave. Coloured tile
floor to chancel with some encaustic tiling in the sanctuary. C15
octagonal font inside the south door. C19 pews and pulpit.
Chancel; Austrian oak panelling with fillets and frieze with
running foliate motif below window height. English wooden altar
probably of C19 date with decorative marquetry, dorsal and riddel
posts. C19 carved oak chair and bench beside the altar. C19
stained glass east window. Two C19 stained glass in the windows to
the nave north wall. Three stained glass windows in the south wall
(by John Hardman) are particularly fine quality and are both dated
1925.
(V.C.H. Glos, Vol VI, p 176; and David Verey, The Buildings of
England, The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP2198720555

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.