History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tarrant Rawston, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8595 / 50°51'34"N

Longitude: -2.088 / 2°5'16"W

OS Eastings: 393905

OS Northings: 106666

OS Grid: ST939066

Mapcode National: GBR 30X.0XQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 66JT.LDX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 June 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103773

Location: Tarrant Rawston, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Tarrant Rawston

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Tarrant Monkton with Tarrant Launceston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Tarrant Monkton

Listing Text

TARRANT RAWSTON
ST 90 NW -
3/53 Church of St Mary
26.6.53
GV II*

Redundant Parish Church, now private chapel, C14 origin with late C14 or early
C15 alterations, C16 porch and south chapel, C18 chancel, north chapel and
further alterations. Flint and squared rubble with ashlar dressings, tiled roofs
with stone-slate margins. Plan: nave, short chancel, north and south transeptal
chapels; south porch with bellchamber over. Windows are mainly of 2 or 3-trefoiled
lights with Perpendicular tracery. C20 gallery window in west gable apex. Bell-
chamber has single trefoiled opening. Porch has chamfered circular arch with
continuous jambs.

Internal features. C18 semi-circular chancel arch with moulded imposts;
transept arches are chamfer semi-circular with moulded imposts and chamfered
jambs, that to the south being C16 and that to the north an C18 copy; polygonal
C17 timber pulpit with moulded panelling below and chip carved panelling above,
carved cornice with integral reading desk. C19 seating incorporating some C17
timberwork; plastered barrel vault ceilings, probably C18; early C19 gallery
with panelled and moulded front; octagonal stone font on octagonal pier bearing
quatrefoils and dated 1868; late C18 turned communion rails; reset medieval
floor tiles with slip decoration; baroque monument dated 1788 to Radford and
Thomas Gundry having skull and crossbones and scrolled cheek pieces (a late date
for this style of monument.) (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.110/1, no.1. Newman, J
and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.419.)

Listing NGR: ST9390506666

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.