This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1661 / 55°9'57"N
Longitude: -1.9597 / 1°57'34"W
OS Eastings: 402666
OS Northings: 585749
OS Grid: NZ026857
Mapcode National: GBR G8RP.JX
Mapcode Global: WHB1G.WD0Z
Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church
Listing Date: 20 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238414
Location: Wallington Demesne, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Wallington Demesne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cambo Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
WALLINGTON DEMESNE CAMBO
18/165 Holy Trinity Church
Parish Church, 1842 by J.&.B. Green, near site of medieval chapel, tower and
vestry 1884. Squared tooled-and-margined stone with dressings, slate roof.
Broad nave, small polygonal sanctuary, west tower with vestry on north. Simple
Gothick style, the tower more elaborate free Gothic. Tower of 3 tall stages
with stepped angle buttresses; double doors on south have decorative ironwork
and moulded arch with elaborate foliage stops to hoodmould, under string with
inscription 'To the glory of God for the benefit of His People A.D. mdccclxxxiv'.
2nd stage has pointed window with hoodmould; belfry openings with Y tracery
under string forming hoodmould. Round-arched corbel table carrying stepped
moulded parapet with Trevelyan arms on left. West wall of tower has tall lancet
to lower stage and clock face above. 4-bay nave; both north and south walls
have plinth, sill string and continuous hoodmould over pointed windows. Corbel
table carries a projecting eaves course. Stepped buttresses set back at angles
and between bays. Coped gables with kneelers, bracelet finial cross on east
gable. Similar detail to sanctuary except for blind windows in side walls.
Vestry has 2-light mullioned window on north.
Interior: moulded arch to sanctuary and tall triple-chamfered arch to tower;
early C19 font. Elaborate barrel roof with embattled wall-plate, enriched purlins,
braces springing from heraldic corbels, and carved bosses. 8 C13 sepulchral
slabs set into internal walls of tower (6) vestry (2) including unusual incised
effigy, partly re-cut in C19; these were found in 1795 when the footings of the
old chapel were dug up for building stone.(Hodgson, History of Northumberland,
Part II Vol.i, 1828, 282-3).
Listing NGR: NZ0266685749
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings