History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Congregational Church and Adjoining Schoolroom

A Grade II Listed Building in Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.768 / 51°46'4"N

Longitude: -2.3678 / 2°22'4"W

OS Eastings: 374713

OS Northings: 207765

OS Grid: SO747077

Mapcode National: GBR 0KV.263

Mapcode Global: VH94N.XT2J

Entry Name: Congregational Church and Adjoining Schoolroom

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132387

Location: Frampton on Severn, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Frampton on Severn

Built-Up Area: Frampton on Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Frampton-on-Severn St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN THE GREEN
SO 7407-7507
(off west side)
10/129 Congregational Church and
adjoining Schoolroom
II
Former Independent Meeting House established 1760, building opened
1776 by evangelical Rowland Hill, altered in 1849 when schoolroom
built. Brick, on slag block plinth to Church, tile roof with
coped verges and kneelers, brick dentil eaves course with stepped
2-brick string below. Double range, with small single storey
schoolroom with slate roof to north west. Formerly long round-
headed window altered to pointed arches with Y-tracery,
interlocking to sides, 2 windows to rear and right hand side.
Smaller similar window to front, and to back and front of
schoolroom, flanking small projecting gabled porch with plank door
with oval stone above, inscribed "ERECTED/ BY VOLUNTARY /
CONTRIBUTIONS / JUNE 1849". Small single storey later wing to
front not of special interest. Diagonal plank door wth large
moulded flat wooden hood and central vertical strut. Interior
retains gallery, pews and reading desk probably of 1849.
(V.C.H., Gloucestershsire Vol X, 1972.)


Listing NGR: SO7471307765

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.