This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4558 / 55°27'20"N
Longitude: -1.6425 / 1°38'33"W
OS Eastings: 422704
OS Northings: 618051
OS Grid: NU227180
Mapcode National: GBR J5ZC.62
Mapcode Global: WHC1D.R41B
Entry Name: Little Mill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237035
Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Longhoughton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Longhoughton
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 21 NW LONGHOUGHTON LITTLE MILL
5/144 Little Mill
House, dated 1714 with initials HB (Hannah Barron). Attic floor of front
block removed and roofs renewed in later C19; interior remodelled c.1970 after
years of dereliction. South and east walls large squared stone, other walls
rubble; cut dressings and stacks. Welsh slate roofs with yellow brick stack
to rear wing. L-plan.
South elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Centre fielded-panel door in
badly-damaged bolection-moulded surround; 12-pane sash windows in moulded
stone surrounds. Coped gables; stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Left return
shows 1st-floor chamfered window, with renewed glazing, and blocked opening
above; traces of possible lower gable line to left. Rear elevation of front
block shows small chamfered window at 1st floor.
East elevation 3 bays: left gable end of front block with blocked chamfered
windows. Centre bay shows C20 window in former doorway under relief-carved
lintel with shield, enclosing initials and date, flanked by scrolly-foliage;
blocked chamfered window above. Right bay shows ground- and 1st-floor windows
in architraves with projecting moulded sills. Coped right end gable with
rebuilt stack. Right return of wing shows blocked 2-light mullioned window
on 1st floor.
The 1714 date may relate to the building of the house or adaptation of an
earlier fabric; the present south front may have been remodelled in the second
quarter of the C18.
Single-storey extensions to north and west of rear wing are not of special
Listing NGR: NU2270418051
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings