History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harescombe, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7922 / 51°47'31"N

Longitude: -2.2372 / 2°14'13"W

OS Eastings: 383737

OS Northings: 210416

OS Grid: SO837104

Mapcode National: GBR 1LY.R5K

Mapcode Global: VH94R.56NZ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154223

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131748

Location: Harescombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Harescombe

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Harescombe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Painswick

Listing Text

SO 81 SW HARESCOMBE CHURCH LANE
(south side)

5/93 church of St. John the Baptist

10.1.55

GV II*

Parish church. C13; 1871 restoration by Francis Niblett. Coursed,
squared and ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave without
aisles; chancel, south porch and north vestry. C13 chamfered
pointed-arched south doorway with medieval plank and batten door;
C19 restored porch with pointed arch and diagonal corner buttresses
to parapet gable; narrow side lancets. Two trefoil-headed nave
lancets to right; east end of nave has wide offset buttress and
wide coping to gable below C13 bellcote: octagonal stone spire
having 4 attached octagonal pinnacles with C19 iron crosses;
central moulded bracket divides space for 2 bells. Two C18
memorials on wall west of porch. Blocked C13 doorway to buttressed
north nave wall with 3 trefoil-headed lancets. C19 2-light west
window with quatrefoil tracery and carved head labels to hood
mould. C19 restored pair of cinquefoil lancets to east chancel
wall; 2 trefoil-headed C13 lancets to south with C18 memorial to
right; single trefoil headed lancet to north with lean-to C19
vestry to right having trefoil-headed north lancets. Limewashed
interior. C19 4-bay collar truss nave roof; C13 pointed chancel
arch with chamfered archivolt; chancel altered in Cl9; 3-bay
arcaded reredos with tile inlay; raised floor; plank boarded
chancel roof; large chamfered segmental arch to vestry.
Cinquefoil-headed piscina in south chancel wall with credence
table; cinquefoil-headed south nave piscina. C20 altar screen with
carved angels on riddle posts; Jacobean hexagonal pulpit on Cl9
moulded stone base; C19 box pews. Two C18 memorials, either side
of chancel arch: right to Rev. Mr Jonathan Blagge BA, died 1726,
has oval inscription panel with putti and cherubs, and is
surmounted by bust of the rector, all painted; left is oval moulded
memorial to CHARLES STOCK, Rector of Harescombe, died 1707/8, also
painted. C19 stained glass to west window; C20 to east. (D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)


Listing NGR: SO8373710416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.