This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.638 / 51°38'16"N
Longitude: -2.1636 / 2°9'48"W
OS Eastings: 388776
OS Northings: 193261
OS Grid: ST887932
Mapcode National: GBR 1NZ.CSG
Mapcode Global: VH95K.G323
Entry Name: Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 18 April 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154438
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128584
Location: Tetbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury
Built-Up Area: Tetbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/09/2014
NEW CHURCH STREET (west side),
Church of St. Saviour
Former Anglican Church, now vested in The Churches Conservation Trust.
1848 by S. W. Daukes. Ashlar with Cotswold stone slate roof.
Decorated style. Nave and aisles with continuous roof, separate
chancel, all with coped verges, cross saddlestones and cross
finials, and end half-saddlestones with trefoil panel, and sanctus
bellcote to west gable. South porch with steeply pitched gable
and open timberwork arcade with 3-light ogees and broad quatrefoils
over. Archway with pointed arch and quatrefoil with mouchettes in
spandrels, and decorative barge boards. Aisles and chancel have
moulded stone eaves with ball flower frieze. Tracery in Decorated
style. Aisles have small elongated trefoil head single lights.
West end has 2 stepped buttresses marking arcade ends and central 2
cinquefoil-head lights with mouchettes in circle over and small
rose window above. Chancel has 3-light east window, projecting
vestry to north with large stack with decorative octagonal stack
and saddlestone cowl and two 2-light windows with door between on
south wall. Stepped angle buttresses to all corners.
Interior: King-post roof of 8 bays with braced collar beams. 4
bay pointed arcade with alternate round and octagonal piers with
carved angel stops. Ball flower frieze above. All contemporary
fittings, including pews with pierced quatrefoil backs and poppy
head ends, stone font with arched panels, and elaborate crocketed
cover, stone pulpit to left of chancel arch, carved wooden chancel
screen. Chancel roof is panelled and is by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin
and John Hardman as is the stone reredos of 5 bays with crocketed canopies.
This church was built to house the overflow of population in Tetbury who could
not afford to pay for seats at the parish church of St Mary (q.v.),
and is virtually complete as built.
(David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
1979; and local church guide, published by Redundant Churches Fund,
Series II No I.)
Listing NGR: ST8877693261
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings