History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holy Cross Abbey

A Grade II Listed Building in Ferndown Town, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8024 / 50°48'8"N

Longitude: -1.9244 / 1°55'27"W

OS Eastings: 405426

OS Northings: 100314

OS Grid: SU054003

Mapcode National: GBR 431.L8Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 66VZ.B3D

Entry Name: Holy Cross Abbey

Listing Date: 30 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154458

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107668

Location: Ferndown Town, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Ferndown Town

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Hampreston and Stapehill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Hampreston

Listing Text

HAMPRESTON
SU 00 SE STAPEHILL
6/42 Holy Cross Abbey
- II
Abbey. House of the early C19, monastic buildings of the 1840's, church
of 1847-51 by Charles Hansom and later conventual buildings. A monastery
for Cistercian nuns (migrating from Revolutionary France), comprising ranges
of domestic and conventual buildings to the south of the church. Walls of
brickwork in English and Flemish bonds. Steep slate roof to the church,
slate roof to the ranges, with tile roof to the later extensions. The
church has two parts in parallel (for lay and monastic use), each with a
chancel of two bays and nave of five bays, also a (later) aisle to the north
of the lay nave. The general style is Early English; lancets and coupled
lancets (beneath quatrefoils) and large east windows to the coupled gables,
the west end having a large window at the north side, the south side gable
being merged with a slender tower, narrowed at the bells stage and
terminating in a tall pyramid roof. Although there is a north porch, the
main entrance is in the west gable. Inside, there are two arcades, with
octagonal columns with moulded caps, with a screen separating the churches.
The ranges encompass the earlier house (occupied 1802) and there is a west
elevation of two storeys, with a main entrance in the form of a Gothic
porch. The cemetery contains a memorial cross of 1844 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, commemorating the abbess Mde.de Chabannes. RCHM


Listing NGR: SU0542600314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.