History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warblington Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Havant, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8449 / 50°50'41"N

Longitude: -0.966 / 0°57'57"W

OS Eastings: 472895

OS Northings: 105550

OS Grid: SU728055

Mapcode National: GBR CF0.W0Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 86VV.ZD5

Entry Name: Warblington Castle

Listing Date: 16 May 1952

Last Amended: 6 February 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135336

Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO9

County: Hampshire

District: Havant

Town: Havant

Electoral Ward/Division: St Faith's

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Warblington St Thomas a Becket

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Havant

Listing Text

SU 70 NW HAVANT CHURCH LANE
Warblington
16.5.52
4/40 Warblington Castle

GV (formerly listed as Remai
of Warblington Castle)

II*

The surviving fragment of a large Tudor courtyard house, surrounded by a moat,
and built for Margaret Pole (Countess of Salisbury), between 1514 and 1526;
virtually demolished at the end of the Civil War (1643). What remains is part
of the gateway tower, including the moulded stone arch of the gate, some of the
south wall of the tower, a complete south-east octagonal stair turret, of
5 storeys, and part of the east wall (facing the courtyard). Red brick walling
in English bond with stone dressings, the turret having a castellated top, drip
moulds at each storey, and small rectangular openings, and a doorway. The
walling extending from the turret westwards (originally internal) is of
brickwork, with a fragment of castellated top; that extending northwards has
a stone face, the drip moulds from the turret continuing as far as the jambs
(1st, 2nd and 3rd floors) of windows, and to the inner gateway arch. Small
later outshot at the south side is flanked by stone walling, to form a shed.
Ancient Monument.


Listing NGR: SU7293805566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.