This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9484 / 54°56'54"N
Longitude: -1.9268 / 1°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 404783
OS Northings: 561530
OS Grid: NZ047615
Mapcode National: GBR GCZ6.MX
Mapcode Global: WHB2G.CWPC
Entry Name: Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Last Amended: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239828
Location: Bywell, Northumberland, NE43
Civil Parish: Bywell
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bywell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
23/67 Old Vicarage
20.10.52 (previously listed as
Vicarage, dated 1698; rear wings 1901. Large rubble with roughly-shaped quoins
and cut dressings; Welsh slate roof with rendered stacks. Rectangular block
with central stair wing to rear. South elevation 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical.
Central old half-glazed door in bolection-moulded surround with pulvinated
frieze inscribed MAT OWEN FECIT A.D. 1698; open and broken pediment enclosing
oval cartouche with arms of See of Durham and fruit ornament. 12-pane sash
windows in rebated stone surrounds with floating cornices and slightly-projecting
sills. Coped gables have moulded kneelers with incised hearts, carrying ball
finials; stepped end stacks.
Left return shows blocked chamfered light on ground floor and 2 small blocked
lozenge-shaped lights (each cut in a single slab) under cornices on 1st floor.
Right return shows similar small blocked lights, oval on ground floor and lozenge-
shaped above; to right, projecting end of north-east wing with canted bay, its
1st floor corbelled out, with paired sashes and moulded cornice. Rear elevation
shows original stair wing with three 2-light mullioned windows, one blocked, the
others with lead latticed casements.
Interior: Old door furniture and bar behind front door. Framed newel stair
with closed string, splat balusters, moulded handrail and square newels with
moulded tops. Attics retain 2-panel doors with H hinges. Principal-rafter roof
altered in late C18 or early C19; collars removed; purlins with tusk tenons.
Listing NGR: NZ0478361530
Other nearby listed buildings