History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greenhouse 120 Metres East of Felton Park with Potting Shed at Rear

A Grade II* Listed Building in Felton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2953 / 55°17'43"N

Longitude: -1.7173 / 1°43'2"W

OS Eastings: 418048

OS Northings: 600166

OS Grid: NU180001

Mapcode National: GBR J7G6.0L

Mapcode Global: WHC24.L5FD

Entry Name: Greenhouse 120 Metres East of Felton Park with Potting Shed at Rear

Listing Date: 31 December 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154561

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236774

Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Felton

Built-Up Area: Felton (Northumberland)

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
West Thirston

Listing Text

FELTON FELTON PARK
NU 1800
12/105 Greenhouse 120
metres east of
31/12/69 Felton Park, with
potting shed at rear
GV II*

Greenhouse. c.1830, incorporating C18 garden wall. Garden wall brick with
stone dressings; greenhouse cast-iron and glass on ashlar base with brick
plinth to east part; potting shed brick with felted roof.

Greenhouse has low 30-bay front wall with boldly-convex pent roof; all glazing
in vertical panels with fishscale pieces of opaque glass; permanent
iron ladder at centre. Upper wall behind has 2 rows of 9 grilled vents.
Left return shows vertical strips of small square panes and half-glazed iron
door with fishscale glazing. Right return has inserted boarded double door.

Rear elevation: pent-roofed potting shed with five 12-pane Yorkshire sash
windows and boarded door on each return.

Interior: Greenhouse has central division wall and door as on left return.
Each part has 4-bay axial arcade of slender iron columns. Plastered rear wall
has vents at roof level closed by pivoting iron shutters with counterweight
mechanism.

Notes: the brick plinth suggests that the east half of the greenhouse is
slightly older, although both parts are otherwise indentical. It is similar
in form to the 1825 conservatory of Beetham, by Webster of Kendal. An
unusually early and well-preserved example.

Listing NGR: NU1804800166

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.