History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sturminster Marshall, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8032 / 50°48'11"N

Longitude: -2.0706 / 2°4'14"W

OS Eastings: 395121

OS Northings: 100402

OS Grid: ST951004

Mapcode National: GBR 31H.KBW

Mapcode Global: FRA 66KZ.157

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 18 March 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154649

English Heritage Legacy ID: 107687

Location: Sturminster Marshall, East Dorset, Dorset, BH21

County: Dorset

District: East Dorset

Civil Parish: Sturminster Marshall

Built-Up Area: Sturminster Marshall

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Sturminster Marshall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Corfe Mullen

Listing Text

STURMINSTER MARSHALL
ST 90 SE
CHURCH STREET
4/62
Church of St Mary
18.3.55 The Virgin
- II*
Parish church. C12, with C13 extensions, C14 and C15 changes, tower rebuilt
1805, and substantial restoration of 1859, by Henry Woodyer. Walls of
ironstone rubble, with limestone dressings; plinth, stepped buttresses,
hood-moulds. Tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, with wide north aisle
continuing into a chapel (with a small vestry of 1859 at its east end),
south porch (mostly 1859), and west tower (the upper part of 1859). All the
windows are 'Decorated' or 'Perpendicular', of the restoration date, with a
lancet opening into a tall sedilia. The tower is of three stages, with
weathered offsets, flat corner buttresses, a crenellated parapet and corner
pinnacles. Inside, apart from the Norman arcade on later square columns,
the features are all Victorian; there is a tall wood screen, plaster-barrel
vaults to nave and aisle, a pulpit with an ogee base, a 'Norman' font, and a
series of monuments, floor slabs and brasses (mostly C19) and a C17 helm.
The chancel has three stained glass windows by John Hardman & Co. The porch
has some earlier parts and opens onto a Tudor south doorway; it
accommodates two medieval coffin slabs. RCHM


Listing NGR: ST9512100402

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.