This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9566 / 54°57'23"N
Longitude: -2.2595 / 2°15'34"W
OS Eastings: 383476
OS Northings: 562473
OS Grid: NY834624
Mapcode National: GBR DCN3.MZ
Mapcode Global: WHB29.8P81
Entry Name: Langley Castle
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154672
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239305
Location: Haydon, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Haydon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haydon Bridge St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 86 SW HAYDON LANGLEY
9/55 Langley Castle
Castle, c.1350 restored by Cadwallader Bates c. 1900. Squared stone, roofs not
visible. Large and impressive tower-house consisting of a rectangular 4-storeyed
central block with square 5-storey angle towers projecting from the longer east
and west faces. Later C14 forebuilding containing entrance and newel stair set
in re-entrant angle of south-east tower and east front. East elevation with pointed
double-chamfered entrance arch in forebuilding and various windows, some restored.
South elevation with twin stepped buttresses capped by corbelled-out circular
bartizans. Central door and flanking windows and 1st floor windows C19, other
windows C14, some restored. Garderobe projections with arched openings on south
and west side of base of south-west tower. West elevation has a variety of
traceried windows, some C19 and some restored C14. All ground floor openings Cl9.
North elevation similar to south, C19 ground floor door, restored C14 windows.
Embattled parapets, bartizans and turrets all C19 although probably a reasonably
correct restoration. Interior; all floors and woodwork C19, C14 doorways,
fireplaces, vaulted guardrooms in forebuilding etc. Elaborate garderobe
arrangements in south-west tower.
Probably the finest tower-house in Northumberland, Langley Castle is thought to
have been built by Sir Thomas de Lucy and later belonged to the Earl of
Northumberland. It was already a roofless ruin in 1541 but remained a tolerably
intact shell until Bates' restoration.
J.H. Parker 'Domestic Architecture in England' II 1853 332-334
C. Bates 'The Barony and Castle ofLangley' Arch. Aeliana X 1885 38-56
Listing NGR: NY8347662473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings