History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pumping Engine House at Scremerston Old Mine

A Grade II Listed Building in Ancroft, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7295 / 55°43'46"N

Longitude: -1.9856 / 1°59'8"W

OS Eastings: 401001

OS Northings: 648457

OS Grid: NU010484

Mapcode National: GBR G2K5.XY

Mapcode Global: WH9YR.G8P0

Entry Name: Pumping Engine House at Scremerston Old Mine

Listing Date: 18 August 1975

Last Amended: 11 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237903

Location: Ancroft, Northumberland, TD15

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ancroft

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Scremerston St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Spittal

Summary

Pumping-engine house at coal mine. 1840.

Description

Pumping-engine house at coal mine. 1840 for the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital.

Rock-faced stone with iron water tank. 3 storeys with cast-iron water-tank on top,
2 bays. Round-headed windows now boarded up. The heavily buttressed north elevation has a round headed doorway at ground floor level with a partly-blocked round-headed opening above for the beam of the engine.

Between 2nd-floor windows an inscription in raised stone surround with cornice
over :-

ERECTED AD MDCCCXL

BY THE COMMISSIONERS

OF GREENWICH HOSPITAL

JOHN GREY ESQ. RECEIVER

MESSRS JOHNSON & CARRS

COLLIERY LESSEES

THOMAS FORSTER ESQ.

VIEWER & ENGINEER

MR. W. ELLIOT,TWEEDMOUTH

BUILDER


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/06/2014

Formerly listed as Water tower at Scremerston Old Mine.

Previously listed as Scremerston Old Mine.

History

The Jack Tar pit at Scremerston Colliery (originally known as Greenwich Colliery) was sunk in 1840. In 1873 it was being worked by the Scremerston and Shoreswood Coal Co. (previously Messrs Johnson and Carr) but closed in 1878. It was re-opened in 1913 but it does not appear that any coal was produced.

Reasons for Listing

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.