History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Blyth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1271 / 55°7'37"N

Longitude: -1.5116 / 1°30'41"W

OS Eastings: 431240

OS Northings: 581517

OS Grid: NZ312815

Mapcode National: GBR K9W4.JW

Mapcode Global: WHC30.RDCC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 28 July 1950

Last Amended: 15 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154689

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236009

Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Blyth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Blyth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

BLYTH WANLEY STREET
NZ 3181 NW
(East side)
9/44 Church of St. Mary
(formerly listed under
28.7.50
Church Street)
GV II
Parish Church, 1864 by Austin and Johnson; chancel and west end of nave
extended, and north aisle added, 1897-1902 by W.S. Hicks. Squared stone with
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof, with looped terracotta cresting on nave.
Nave with 4-bay north aisle, and south porch, chancel with north vestry/organ
chamber and south-west bell turret. Nave has chamfered plinth and moulded
strings to sills and linking hoodmoulds; sill string continued round porch to
form imposts of double-chamfered arch with boarded double doors. 3 windows
east of porch, each of 2 lancet lights with cinquefoiled circle over. West
end has two 3-light transomed windows, in C14 style, with flanking and central
buttresses. North aisle has separate lower-pitched roof and north windows of
4 trefoiled ogee-lights under square heads; blocked arch on west to unfinished
part of building. 2-bay chancel has moulded plinth, string and stepped
buttresses. 2- and 3-light windows on south, 5-light east window in C14 style
with cusped panel above. Bell turret has shouldered doorway on east and small
loop lights below wooden bell stage with 3 slatted openings on each face;
short pyramidal spire. Coped gables with finial crosses.

Interior: plastered. 4-bay north arcade with double-chamfered arches on round
piers. Nave has king-post roof with intermediate arch-braced collars, the
posts resting on collars only in alternate trusses. Aisle roof has strutted
king-post trusses with central bosses and embattled plate. Chancel and
sanctuary arches on double corbels with leafy capitals. Green granite font
with spire cover. East window: Christ in Majesty with Evangelists below,
flanked by Resurrection and Ascension, 1911, signed by Atkinson Bros. of
Newcastle. North aisle window 1950 by Evetts. Church originally built as
chapel of ease to St. Mary, Horton (q.v.), becoming parochial in 1896.

Listing NGR: NZ3124081517

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.