This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9884 / 54°59'18"N
Longitude: -1.9892 / 1°59'21"W
OS Eastings: 400788
OS Northings: 565982
OS Grid: NZ007659
Mapcode National: GBR GBKR.4L
Mapcode Global: WHB27.DWZ5
Entry Name: Aydon House
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154726
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239868
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CORBRIDGE AYDON (South side)
NZ 06 NW
6/107 Aydon House
House, dated 1727 with initials I H (partly hidden by ivy) on door surround,
altered and extended 1885 by Sept. Oswald & Son for C.A.P. Reed. Squared stone
with ashlar dressings; Westmorland slate roof. Rectangular 1727 range has
parallel rear wing and east wing of 1885, the latter replacing a C17 house.
South (garden) front in 2 parts: Old house to left 3 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical
Plinth, 1st and 2nd floor bands. Central half-glazed door in raised roll-moulded
surround; C19 plate glass sashes to ground and 1st floors, in older openings
with wedge lintels grooved to imitate voussoirs. Shortened 2nd-floor sashes in
centre and end bays only. Coped gables with moulded kneelers, stepped-and-
corniced end stacks. To right, lower east wing in similar style 2 storeys, 4
bays. Half glazed door in bay 3; coped right gable with moulded kneelers and
finial, stepped-and-corniced ridge stack. To far right, attached gable end of
single-storey boilerhouse,with 12-pane sash and stepped-and-corniced ridge stack,
Left return shows 5-bay wooden verandah of 1885 with turned columns and 4-centred
arches. Set forward to left, gable end of rear wing has 2-storey bow window
with plate-glass sashes; 2nd floor has 2 4-pane sashes with round window above,
all in raised moulded surrounds. Rear elevation shows projecting flat-roofed
porch with moulded cornice; timber loggia to right has 5 steps up to basket-
arched entrance flanked by 3-bay dwarf arcades with turned columns and round
arches, above walls with moulded coping.
Interior; doorway with broad-chamfered surround at east end of old block may
be remnant of C17 house. Good early C18 dogleg stair, with closed strings,
turned balusters and moulded handrail, ex-situ in rear wing.
Listing NGR: NZ0078865982
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings