History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Commelines Mill and Attached House

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton St. Leonards, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8362 / 51°50'10"N

Longitude: -2.1947 / 2°11'40"W

OS Eastings: 386682

OS Northings: 215309

OS Grid: SO866153

Mapcode National: GBR 1LF.XLD

Mapcode Global: VH94K.X33P

Entry Name: Commelines Mill and Attached House

Listing Date: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131833

Location: Upton St. Leonards, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Upton St. Leonards

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Upton St Leonards St Leonards

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Matson

Listing Text

SO 81 NE UPTON ST LEONARDS BONDEND

3/171 Commelines Mill and attached
house


II

Mill building (now disused) with attached house. Late C18; mill
and house enlargement of early C19. Brick; stucco facing;
rendered chimneys; Welsh slate roof. Mill building with attached
2-storey house on south side. South front of house: 3-window
sash fenestration; parapet with cornice and plain upper floor
level band; Regency iron canopy to ground floor; central doorway
with 6-panel fielded door; lean-to conservatory to right with high
backing wall. West: house to right with 4-window sash
fenestration, parapet and cornice continuing from south; blank
outer window recesses except doorway to left with decorated
fanlight and 6-panel fielded door. Parapet to side of mill
projecting to left; plank door in round-arched recess flanked by
casements; blocked upper floor openings. Gable end of mill in
painted brickwork with circular window to gable apex; segmental
headed fenestration below; central plank loading door at high
level and part leaded casement to left. East: gable end of mill
to right with 3-centred arched casement to middle and upper floors;
angled corner of late C18 cottage to left with brick eaves dentil
course and cambered-arched upper floor part-leaded casement; C20
stucco-faced addition to left. North side of mill: long 2-storey
outshut. Other attached buildings to north not of special
interest. Interior of mill has near complete corn milling
machinery and equipment for grain storage. Sunken garden occupies
area of mill pond. Mill continued to be worked until 1914.


Listing NGR: SO8668215309

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.