History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sudeley Castle

A Grade I Listed Building in Sudeley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9475 / 51°56'50"N

Longitude: -1.9563 / 1°57'22"W

OS Eastings: 403098

OS Northings: 227667

OS Grid: SP030276

Mapcode National: GBR 3N1.XXW

Mapcode Global: VHB1L.19MW

Entry Name: Sudeley Castle

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Last Amended: 7 September 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154791

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134929

Location: Sudeley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Sudeley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winchcombe St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Winchcombe

Listing Text

SUDELEY -
SP 0227-0327
14/143 Sudeley Castle
(formerly listed as part of Sudeley
4.7.60 Castle and remains of the Grange)
GV I
Former castle, now country house. Mid C15 for Ralph Boteler; late
C15 for Richard III; much altered c1572 for Lord Chandos, mid C19
for J. Dent by Sir G.G. Scott, later C19 for Mrs. E. Dent by J.D.
Wyatt, early C20 by M. Anderson, 1930's by W.H. Godfrey for Major
Dent-Brocklehurst. Coursed, squared stone and ashlar, stone slate
roofs, lead flats, probably Welsh slate roofs. Large, rectangular
outer courtyard, west wing extended as side of inner courtyard,
opposite side ruins of Great Presence Chamber: 2 and 3 storeys,
higher towers. North, exterior face: late C19 tower on left,
plinth, 3-light mullion and transom window to ground and first
floors, string courses as hoodmoulds, 2-light similar above,
moulded head on consoles, string course, crenellations, higher at
corners. To right, C16 work: 4-light mullion and transom, with
king mullion, 6-light similar above with 2 king mullions. Wall
sets forward slightly to right, double boarded doors to gate in 4-
centred arch, 2-light mullion each side; above 2 oriel windows,
each with 2-light mullion and transom windows, hipped roofs. Set
back on right, 2 and 4-light mullioned or mullion and transom
windows, above three 4-light mullion and transom, one 6-light.
Moulded string course and crenellations run through from corner
tower, hipped roof, 6 chimneys, moulded caps. Inner walls of outer
courtyard: north side, corner turrets at ends; plinth, boarded
door, moulded arris to opening, 4-centred head with plain
spandrels; 2-light mullion on left return of turret; to left wide
archway, 4-centred head, chamfer to arris, single-light window each
side. Beyond 4-light mullion window each side of half-glazed door
in opening as first door: corner turret with boarded door on right
return as first, 2-light mullioned window main face. Above, string
course as hoodmould; 2-light mullion window each face of corner
turrets; between three 4-light mullion and transom windows, king
mullion, moulded string course, crenellated parapet. Right, east
wing; windows all 4-light mullion and transom, reserved chamfer,
king mullion, string course as hoodmould: doors boarded, moulded
surround, 4-centred arch, plain spandrel. Ground floor, plinth,
single window each end, 4 doors with 2 windows between each; first
floor 8 windows; crenellated parapet, 5 ashlar chimneys with
moulded caps. Great Presence Chamber at end of east range: east
and north walls only remain. From outside, octagonal stair turret
on right, lancets, string course and moulded head. To left,
plinth, 2 former mullion and transom windows, tracery gone,
relieving arch over, scrolls to flat hoodmould on left. Chimney
breast, 4-light mullion and transom window, cusped heads to lights,
flat head, hoodmould with scrolled ends. Above: 4-light mullioned
window, king mullion, 2 transoms, crenellations to sill; buttress
and high up each side 4-light window, as main but no transoms,
plain sill. Below left window open back to fireplace and flue.
Oriel window to left, 3-light mullioned window, 2 transoms. Inside
flying 4-centred arch to right ground-floor window, panelled vault
behind in wall thickness. Above, floor gone: fireplace with flat
stone lintel, moulded arris, blind tracery to reveals of tall
windows, moulded sill to shorter, start of fan vaulting over
oriel. On left return 9-light mullioned window high up, 4 king
mullions, moulded sill, end lights blind, 3-centred arch.
Interior north and east range: ground floor on east; Library,
bolection-moulded panelling, wide c1572 stone fireplace reset from
elsewhere in building, fluted columns each side, carved heads on
cornice, egg-and-dart frieze; carved panels over doors, stained
glass to upper parts of windows. Adjoining panelled room, Ionic
pilasters above dado, moulded cornice, stone fireplace surround.
Main stairs; open well, moulded string and rail, spiral balusters,
square newels with knob finials, dado panelling, 1580 stained glass
in windows. First floor, Katherine Parr room to south, largely
1847ff decoration, stone door surrounds, 4-centred arches, ornate
timber surrounds with crocketed frieze, linen-fold panelling,
ornate fireplace surround and overmantel with nodding ogee head:
carved wooden cornice, moulded plaster ceiling with pendants,
stained glass to windows, some C17. North drawing room 12-panelled
doors, ornate carved surround to fireplace: some C17 glass to
north stair windows, otherwise C19 painted. Room over gateway:
wide stone fireplace with 1930's strapwork frieze, 12 panel doors,
moulded plaster ceiling. Billiard room beyond, small-panelled
panelling, dado, strapwork Corinthian pilasters, carved frieze,
strapwork doors, ornate surround and overmantel to fireplace,
moulded plaster ceiling, stained glass to upper part windows. Last
home of Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's widow; castle slighted 1649,
purchased by Dents in 1837 and restored by them.
(S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; papers at
Sudeley Castle; Country Life, 1940; P.A. Faulkner, Archaeological
Journal, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970)


Listing NGR: SP0310027668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.