History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dover House

A Grade II Listed Building in Northleach with Eastington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8292 / 51°49'45"N

Longitude: -1.8354 / 1°50'7"W

OS Eastings: 411442

OS Northings: 214524

OS Grid: SP114145

Mapcode National: GBR 3PR.BSL

Mapcode Global: VHB27.49K1

Entry Name: Dover House

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130503

Location: Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Northleach with Eastington

Built-Up Area: Northleach

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Northleach St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Northleach

Listing Text

NORTHLEACH WITH EAST END
SP 1114
EASTINGTON (north side), Northleach
8/65 Dover House
II

House at end of row. Built c1619 under the will of William Dutton,
extended C19. Limestone rubble, ashlar street front, short length
of ashlar in left-hand return. Stone slate roof, corrugated
asbestos to C19 extension at rear. Ashlar stacks. Formerly 'L'-
shaped plan now rectangular plan. Small C19 extension. Two-
storeys. Two-windowed facade to main road, all 12-pane sashes with
horns. C19 six-panel door set back within semi-circular headed
surround. Band and parapet above first floor windows. Left-hand
return; C20 door with glazing bars within flat-chamfered 4-centred
arched surround. Sixteen-pane sash left of door. Small 16-pane
sash above door. Twenty-pane sash left. Sixteen-pane sash to
upper floor of extension to left. Six-pane casement within
blocking of room pitching door left. C19 four-panel door with
upper panels glazed and C19 plank door to ground floor. Gable end
stacks.
Interior; intersecting moulded beams in room left of 4-centred
arched doorway. History; once used as store for wool and cloth,
then became the Lamb Inn and subsequently the Sherborne Arms.
House formerly extended further left of present front, the
additional bays were refronted in the early C19 in a similar way to
the remaining 2 bays. This part of the house was dismantled and
transported to America by Henry Ford in 1937. The house contained
stencilled, probably C18 wall paintings.
(Trans B.G.A.S. p 6 - 7 and 1939)


Listing NGR: SP1144214524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.