This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3487 / 55°20'55"N
Longitude: -1.6111 / 1°36'39"W
OS Eastings: 424759
OS Northings: 606143
OS Grid: NU247061
Mapcode National: GBR K66L.0G
Mapcode Global: WHC1T.7T2H
Entry Name: Warkworth House Hotel
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237143
Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Warkworth
Built-Up Area: Warkworth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2406 WARKWORTH BRIDGE STREET
10.1.53 House Hotel
House, now hotel. 1822 for John Forster (date and initials on 2 rainwater
heads) incorporating C18 fabric to rear. Squared stone of near-ashlar
quality; rear elevation roughcast and cream-washed. Scottish slate roof on
main part, Welsh slates on left part and 2-storey part of rear wing, synthetic
blue slates on single-storey part of rear wing; 2 yellow brick stacks on rear
Main part 3 storeys, 2 + 1 + 2 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill bands. Centre
top-glazed door of 6 fielded panels under patterned fanlight, in surround with
attached Tuscan columns and open-pedimented hood. 12-pane sash windows to
lower floors with 6-pane sashes above. Moulded cornice. Parapet with moulded
coping, end pilasters and pediment over centre bay. Coped gables with
stepped-and-corniced end stacks. Old rainwater heads at each end of facade.
Left 2-storey 3-bay part with sill bands, 3-centred carriage arch at left end
and 12-pane sashes; moulded eaves cornice, coped left gable and rendered end
Rear elevation: Main part shows 1822 two-storey outshut built onto rear of
C18 house; arched stair window holds 28-pane sash with intersecting head.
Left projecting rear wing, partly 1-storey with paired and triple 12-pane
sashes on inner return.
Interior: 6-panel door and shutters with beaded mouldings. Entrance hall has
Greek key frieze and ceiling rose. Batek Bar (ground floor left) has floral
cornice and ceiling with sunburst and harebell border. Games Room has old
floral cornice. Stair and stairhead balustrade brought in 1822 from
Brandenburgh House (residence of Queen Caroline); patterned wrought-iron
balusters, moulded and wreathed handrail, carved tread ends. Stairhead has
bucranium frieze and panelled plaster ceiling with Greek Key and floral
patterns. Old lantern may be contemporary with stair. Rear wing has C18
Marble mantels from the Brandenburgh House, mentioned in the previous listing,
have been removed and sold.
Outbuildings attached to rear wing are not of interest.
Listing NGR: NU2475906143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings