History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Shire Stone Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Evenlode, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9862 / 51°59'10"N

Longitude: -1.6663 / 1°39'58"W

OS Eastings: 423014

OS Northings: 232023

OS Grid: SP230320

Mapcode National: GBR 5QP.KJR

Mapcode Global: VHBZ0.2BGQ

Entry Name: Four Shire Stone Farm

Listing Date: 26 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154945

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130219

Location: Evenlode, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Evenlode

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Evenlode St Edward King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lower Lemington

Listing Text

EVENLODE
SP 23 SW
2/106 Four Shire Stone Farm
26.3.85
II
Detached farmhouse with attached partly converted barn and store.
C17, C18, C19 and C20. C17 part; coursed, squared and dressed
limestone and sandstone, concrete tile roof, ashlar stacks; C18
barn and C19 store coursed, squared and dressed limestone,
corrugated asbestos roof to store. C20 extensions; artificial
stone concrete tile roof. Rectangular main body with C20
extensions at rear and conservatory at front, partly converted C18
barn on right gable end, C19 store on gable-end of barn. Garden
front; 2 storeys and garret lit by single light casement with
double-chamfered surround. 4 bay, 3-windowed facade lit by 2 and
3-light double-chamfered, stone-mullioned casements with horizontal
glazing bars. Two C20 doors with glazing bars in flat-chamfered
surrounds (one original) from conservatory into house. Former
surround to front door with 4-centred arch and imposts reused in
right-hand wall of conservatory, compass drawn rosettes and various
roughly carved initials and dates (earliest date 1769). Reused
stone in wall of conservatory with inscription MARKHAM
GARDNER/ADDELBURY/1777. Left end of C18 barn now converted, double
width entrance with timber lintel right. Stable door to store
right lit by 2 glazing bar casements, pitching window in right
gable-end. Gable-end and axial stacks with moulded cappings.
Interior: spine beam. Two open fireplaces with bressummer beams,
one with incised inscription WILLIAM LUCKELL 1688. Barn interior:
ventilation slits and gable-end pitching window with keystone
visible from interior. Roof to store; single truss with (probably
reused) curving principals set upside down.


Listing NGR: SP2301432023

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.