History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wargrave, Wokingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4998 / 51°29'59"N

Longitude: -0.8737 / 0°52'25"W

OS Eastings: 478276

OS Northings: 178469

OS Grid: SU782784

Mapcode National: GBR C56.V8K

Mapcode Global: VHDWN.SKZN

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155023

English Heritage Legacy ID: 41363

Location: Wargrave, Wokingham, RG10

County: Wokingham

Civil Parish: Wargrave

Built-Up Area: Wargrave

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Wargrave with Knowl Hill

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Twyford

Listing Text

WARGRAVE STATION ROAD
SU 7877
(north side)
16/5 Church of St. Mary
26.1.67
G.V. II*
Parish Church. Originally C13 but was burnt down in 1914 reputedly by
suffragettes with the exception of the west tower of 1635, the walls and
north doorway. Rebuilt 1916 by W. Fellowes Prynne. Flint walls with
stone dressings part rendered on north, brick tower, gabled tiled roof.
5 bay nave, chancel, north transept and organ chamber, south arcade and
and aisle with chapel. Tower is 3 stages, brick plinth with stone capping,
moulded stone strings, parapet, octagonal corner buttresses of chequer
flint and brick with strings carried round and stone ball finials. A
west doorway in a brick arched opening, at the south east corner a
staircase to the ringing chamber. Windows with intersecting tracery,
altered. The north door in the nave is Norman of 2 orders with chevroned
shafts, caps, large roll inner moulding and scalloped outer moulding. On
the north wall are remains of Norman arcading. The font is C15 made from
chalk and restored early C20. Some floor slabs remain.
V.C.H. Vol. III p.195. B.O.E. (Berkshire) p.257.


Listing NGR: SU7827678469

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.