History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Large Barn to West of Drew's Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.618 / 51°37'4"N

Longitude: -2.2575 / 2°15'27"W

OS Eastings: 382265

OS Northings: 191046

OS Grid: ST822910

Mapcode National: GBR 1P2.D2W

Mapcode Global: VH95H.TLDJ

Entry Name: Large Barn to West of Drew's Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Last Amended: 1 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155032

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129619

Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: BoxwellSt Mary the Virgin and Leighterton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Didmarton

Listing Text

BOXWELL WITH THE STREET (Leighterton Village
ST 8291 west side)
LEIGHTERTON
2/28 Large barn to west of Drew's
Farmhouse
(previously listed as barn
dated 1800)

GV II
6.9.54
Barn. Datestone R + B/1800. Random rubble limestone; dressed
quoins; stone slate roof. Seven-bay barn with central projecting
porch to each side. West side: central gabled porch with timber
lintel to doorway having relieving arch over and plank barn doors.
Louvred loft opening above doorway and square lantern to
columbarium with stone pigeon finial; ball finial to barn gables.
Lean-to to left and right of porch, both with corrugated-iron
roofs, that to left cut down from higher pitch and with rounded
corners. Row of gablet vents to main ridge. East side: central
gabled porch with datestone. North gable end: plain except for 10
rows of pigeon holes with perches. South gable end: roughcast
rendered with single apex pigeon hole. Interior has 7-bay collar
truss roof with lath and plaster between trusses; plastered walls.
Indications of 2 inserted floors at south end, now removed. Lofts
to each porch, that on west a columbarium. Forms part of group
with Drew's Farmhouse, other barn and stables (q.v.). (D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)


Listing NGR: ST8226591046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.