This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8304 / 51°49'49"N
Longitude: -1.8372 / 1°50'14"W
OS Eastings: 411313
OS Northings: 214657
OS Grid: SP113146
Mapcode National: GBR 3PR.B9X
Mapcode Global: VHB27.38L4
Entry Name: No 4 Walton House walton House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130527
Location: Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Northleach with Eastington
Built-Up Area: Northleach
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Northleach St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
NORTHLEACH WITH HIGH STREET
EASTINGTON (north side), Northleach
8/90 Walton House and No 4 Walton
Large house in two ownerships at end of late C16-early C17, facade
and extension of wing at rear c1789. Coursed squared and dressed
limestone of various different periods, ashlar facade with moulded
stone plinth. Stone slate to roof pitches visible from road, some
concrete tile at rear, ashlar stacks. 'L'-shaped plan. Pebble-
dashed extension to main body, slate-roofed extension to No 4
Walton House and No 3 Walton House at rear of main body not of
special interest. Main body; two storeys and attic lit by three
2-light hipped roof dormers. Five-windowed facade all 12-pane
sashes within plain architraves with keystones. Former entrance
off-centre right within plain semi-circular headed surround
retaining fanlight. Two-pane sash inserted in blocked opening.
Band and parapet above first floor windows continued around left
gable end. Bull's-eye window with keystone surround towards apex
of left gable end. Venetian window to first floor. Band at level
of window sill. Six-pane sash and 6-pane casement within plain
architraves with keystones to ground floor. Double C20 part-glazed
doors left with 3-pane light over all within plain architrave with
keystone. Wing at rear lit by 12-pane sashes all with plain
architraves with keystones. Two late C18 doorways with plain
architraves and keystones (one blocked) with 4-pane sash inserted
and one C20 part-glazed door from courtyard at rear of main body to
wing. One 2-light stone-mullioned casement with leaded panes and
indications of 2 others (both blocked). Moulded coping at gable
ends. Axial and gable-end stacks with moulded cappings.
Interior; 4-centred arched flat-chamfered doorway and Tudor-arched
fireplace within wing. Intersecting beams with deep flat chamfers.
Four-centred arched entrance to cellar, further 3-roomed cellar
with access from alley between No 3 and No 4. Moulded intersecting
beams to No 4. Tudor-arched stone fireplace with carved spandrels
and moulded mantelpiece. Blocked, probably reused, stone window
with 2 pointed lights, carved spandrels and casement mouldings.
Sunken rectangular panels at top of window surround. Walton House
was formerly a training stable and is said to be named after
Walton, a son of a horse which won the Derby in 1787.
Listing NGR: SP1131314657
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings