History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Acton Turville, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5264 / 51°31'34"N

Longitude: -2.2775 / 2°16'39"W

OS Eastings: 380844

OS Northings: 180865

OS Grid: ST808808

Mapcode National: GBR 0NW.709

Mapcode Global: VH95W.GWTR

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 3 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 34220

Location: Acton Turville, South Gloucestershire, GL9

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Acton Turville

Built-Up Area: Acton Turville

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Acton Turville

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Acton Turville

Listing Text

ACTON TURVILLE C.P. THE STREET
ST 88 SW
(north side)
7/4 Parish Church of
St Mary
3.3.61

G.V. II*

Parish Church (C of E). C12th; altered C13th and C15th; restored
and rebuilt, with the addition of the north aisle and vestry in 1853
by T H Wyatt. rubble; Cotswold stone slate roof with coped raised
verges. Nave; Chancel; south porch and north aisle. Nave: C15th square
headed 3-light window with cusped ogee heads to lights, under drip mould.
South porch: coursed, squared rubble; chamfered 2-centred arch under
drip mould; south doorway; chamfered doorcase with Caernarvon arch, C14th
image niche inserted in tympanum of semi-circular head which has dog-tooth
moulding. Chancel: blocked priest's door and 2 simple lancet windows with
chamfered surrounds; the one to the right is under a drip mould. North
aisle: 2 C15th style 2 - and 3-light windows; reinserted north door with
semi-circular head and dog-tooth moulding. Elaborate Early English bell
turret on east gable of nave (said to have been put there in 1853 on the
demolition of the central tower):ashlar; stone spirelet, with cylindrical
pinnacles, rests on 4 piers; Early English chancel arch; glass, furniture
and pulpit all 1912; plain Romanesque circular font on restored (1912) base.

Listing NGR: ST8084480865

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.