This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4484 / 51°26'54"N
Longitude: -0.9544 / 0°57'15"W
OS Eastings: 472757
OS Northings: 172673
OS Grid: SU727726
Mapcode National: GBR QQJ.P7
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.DVTK
Entry Name: Main Building at Reading School
Listing Date: 19 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38922
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Main building at
SU 7272 9/477 19.3.75.
1865-71, designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Gothic style with rigorous symmetry
except for octagonal turret with pyramidal roof to right of central hall.
2 storeys and attics. Built of red brick with blue brick decoration. Gabled
tiled roof with fishscale bands, vents etc designed to add to interest of skyline
as well as chimneys with 3 shafts at joined capping and with tumbled brick.
Terracotta window dressings and details. Diaper panel to 1st floor cill.
Hall:8 bays with 2 stages of pointed geometric tracery windows and dividing
buttresses, corbelled cornice and central vent. Turret projects from north-west
corner with arched louvred openings to belfry stage. Entrance in 2 central
bays with corbelled arches of 3 orders and with decorative wrought and cast
iron gates with wrought iron tympana. Leads through to quadrangle ("Cloister")
at rear. East and west wings have central and end gables and further minor
gables in reflected symmetry. Roughly 11 bays each with plate glass sash windows
1st floor and plate tracery windows on ground floor. Entrances in 5th bay
and in recessed corners to north-west and north-east. Rear elevation equally
symmetrical with projecting double gable wings to sides. The "Cloisters" and
associated buildings are included in this item. They are probably not by Waterhouse
(probably by Charles Smith in the 1880s) in polydrome brick work. The boiler
house chimney springs from the south-east corner of a building with apsed south
end. The interiors of the main block contain many original fittings. Marble
pillar in "cloisters" with foundation stone laid by HRH Prince of Wales 1.vij.
1870. The school has had a long and distinguished history. Re-endowed by
Henry VII in 1488. Archbishop Laud was taught as this school.
Listing NGR: SU7275772673
Other nearby listed buildings