History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel and Attached School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Naunton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9092 / 51°54'33"N

Longitude: -1.8355 / 1°50'7"W

OS Eastings: 411410

OS Northings: 223421

OS Grid: SP114234

Mapcode National: GBR 3NS.BRF

Mapcode Global: VHB1V.48HQ

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and Attached School House

Listing Date: 16 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129957

Location: Naunton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Naunton

Built-Up Area: Naunton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Naunton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Naunton

Listing Text

NAUNTON VILLAGE STREET
SP 1123
(s side)
8/73
Baptist Chapel and
- attached school house)

GV II

Non-conformist Chapel. Dated 1850 but looks earlier. Pre-archaeological Gothick
style. Coursed rubble, low-pitched slate roof with coped verges. 2--light Y-
tracery lancets to sides. Front (west) gable has 2 projecting gabled stair-
turrets and lower lean-to between with arched doorway. Ground falls sharply to
south allowing basement. Extends to east as school house in coursed and squared
rubble. 2 storeys, 2 windows, plain slightly chamfered opening with timber mul-
lion windows. Central uninscribed (date) panel. Interior probably as arranged
c.1850. 2 Tudor arched doorways at west end blocked. Blocked openings for school
children or choir above east doorways. Probably originally a plain C18 rectan-
gular structure, extended to its present form in 1850. Important position when
seen from Dale Street and south.

Listing NGR: SP1141023421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.