This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.3258 / 55°19'32"N
Longitude: -1.7439 / 1°44'37"W
OS Eastings: 416348
OS Northings: 603559
OS Grid: NU163035
Mapcode National: GBR J68V.7N
Mapcode Global: WHC1Y.5DVH
Entry Name: 10, the Avenue
Listing Date: 15 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236843
Location: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarland, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Newton-on-the-Moor and Swarlan
Built-Up Area: Swarland
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWTON-ON-THE-MOOR THE AVENUE
NU 10 SE
6/174 No. 10
Bungalow, 1936 by M.P. Reavell for the Fountains Abbey Settlers Society.
Brick, rendered and whitewashed; pantile roof. L-plan. 3 bays. Central
renewed part-glazed door with 12-pane sash and 2 small windows to right;
projecting left bay shows 12-pane sash under gable with plain bargeboards.
Ridge stack on each part of roof. Left return shows 12-pane sash and gable
with plain bargeboards; right return shows doorway and small window under
similar gable. 3-bay rear elevation shows 12-pane sashes, paired at left
Listed for historical interest. The Fountains Abbey Settlers Society was
established in 1934 by Commander Clare Vyner to provide a rural settlement
for unemployed craftsmen from Tyneside. 77 houses were built, mostly with
attached lX acre plots and tenanted by families from Gateshead and elsewhere.
The scheme was not a total success, many tenants soon returning to Tyneside.
Listing NGR: NU1634803559
Other nearby listed buildings