This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3602 / 55°21'36"N
Longitude: -1.6467 / 1°38'48"W
OS Eastings: 422496
OS Northings: 607409
OS Grid: NU224074
Mapcode National: GBR J6YG.9B
Mapcode Global: WHC1S.PJ2N
Entry Name: Low Buston Hall
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237202
Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Warkworth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 20 NW WARKWORTH LOW BUSTON
10/311 Low Buston Hall
House. South wing later C17; major reconstruction in late C18 for Charles
Francis Forster; east front dated 1907 on rainwater heads. North and east
elevations squared stone with cut dressings; other parts rendered, partly
cream-washed. Welsh slate roof with some stacks rebuilt in brick. C17
house with L-plan extensions wrapped round north end.
North (entrance) front in 2 parts. Main left part in 2 sections: Slightly-
projecting 2-storey left bay has 1st-floor band; early C20 casement window on
ground floor in older opening, and blocked window above; slightly-projecting
sills; hipped roof. 3-storey 2-bay right part has Tuscan porch at left end;
now with early C20 5-panel door and coloured glazing; similar glazing to
window above. Right of porch a stair window with 4-centred arch, holding 12-
pane sash with intersecting head; 6-pane casement with timber lintel above.
Right bay has early C20 glazing to lower floors and similar 2nd-floor casement.
Coped gable to right; rendered ridge and right end stacks. Plain eaves band
to both parts. Far right lower 2-storey 2-bay wing; ground floor has
renewed 12-pane sash and 16-pane Yorkshire sash, under 3-pane fixed light, with
12-pane sashes above. Roof hipped to right; rebuilt left end stack.
East elevation shows 1907 seven-bay twin-hipped projecting front with round-
arched doorway recessed in centre. Set back to left is south wing with renewed
1st-floor window in old chamfered surround; steeply-pitched roof with raised
gable coping on moulded kneelers and rebuilt end stacks. Left return of wing
shows blocked chamfered window on 1st floor.
Interior: Entrance hall has dog-leg Chinese-Chippendale staircase with
moulded ramped handrail, pierced newels and similar stair-head balustrade.
Doors with beaded mouldings. Rococo friezes and ceiling decoration in most
ground-floor rooms, probably mostly reproduction. Late C17 fireplace from
Buston Barns in south wing.
Listing NGR: NU2249607409
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings